Need help guys...want to make a horn box - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2010, 04:58 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
OK, but did it use this driver?

Regardless, reducing the rear chamber's Vb and adding a straight initial expansion increases its HF gain BW above 100 Hz at the expense of some acoustic efficiency with the length and flare frequency governing the shape of its pass-band response. Unfortunately, adding another section means the Loudspeaker Wizard is disabled, so you'll have to do it the old way of tediously comparing different input values instead of seeing it in real time as you use its sliders.

Anyway, using your dims and adding a 20" long flared section expanding to ~116.25"^2 (750 cm^2) yields a ~maximally flat half space response of ~23.7 Hz -185 Hz. Again though, the simple ducted port alignment I suggested yields more bang/buck and easier to build, but being more acoustically efficient it's ~50% bigger also, though still tiny by my standards for a 'sub'.

Note that published specs are probably off enough to render all this moot unless significant EQ is used.

GM
thanks for thoses details. The sub has been given to me (free), and i realise it is not a well suited sub for the task, altough it plays well enough in a car.
I may look for a better sub (Dayton's ?).

I am realy considering the Tuba HT for now. I have plenty of amps for the task (CAS II 1200w and a BGW 7000 proline 650w) so i may overpower the sub anyway
Old 13th February 2010, 01:17 AM   #22
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

You're welcome!

OK, then since it won't cost much in materials/labor, why not build one of these designs to see if it satisfies you and report back?

WRT the tuba's power handling, below its horn gain BW it's just a sealed alignment, so up to the point where the VC overheats, it's self protecting.

GM
Old 13th February 2010, 03:44 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
You're welcome!

OK, then since it won't cost much in materials/labor, why not build one of these designs to see if it satisfies you and report back?

WRT the tuba's power handling, below its horn gain BW it's just a sealed alignment, so up to the point where the VC overheats, it's self protecting.

GM
i bought the plans already. i may start building that next week. i will report for sure here first, theirs forum is invaded with knows-it-all newbs that pretends themsevles knowledgeable or "expert"...

Hide this!Advertise here!