Can a Tapped Horn have a negative taper within the horn path?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is a little background. I already have a FLH in my truck.
8958347.jpg
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
9267148.jpg

My son got me this for x-mas.
Power Acoustik BAMF-5500/1D (BAMF55001/D) (bamf55001d) Mono Subwoofer Amps Car Amplifiers Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix

The FLH is designed to handle 600 watts. The TH I'm designing will handle 1,400 watts. I'll run the Kicker at 8 ohms since I need to upgrade my alternator.

9266980.jpg
9266983.jpg
9266986.jpg

I tried to do searches within diyaudio to see if anyone discussed having a negative taper within the horn path and really come up with anything but TQWT's. Has anyone built a tapped horn with a decrease at S2 & S3 and increase at S4 & S5?

All horns are bandpass boxes, they only play small bandwith of frequencies (usually 1-3 octives). The current box is a Front Loaded Horn or a single reflex bandpass box with a flared port split in half. The rear is the enclosed rectangle in the diagram. I reverse mounted the sub for voicecoil cooling. The bottom of the rectangle is the removable panel. The "Unhorn" I'm designing is basically a dual reflex bandpass box with 2 flared ports. The reason for the redesign is I'm currently running a Boston Acoustic GT-42 in 3 channel mode. Channels 1 & 2 are on the door & rear cab speakers in 2 ohm stereo. Channels 3 & 4 are bridged into a 2 ohm mono load to the sub (4 ohm DVC). Bridge mode @ 2 ohms = 450 watts rms. The Power Acoustic BAMF5500/1D is 2,500 watts rms @ 2 ohms!
Boston Acoustics GT-42 4-Channel Audio Speaker Amp
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:

GM

Joined 2003
Can a Tapped Horn have a negative taper within the horn path?

If you define 'horn' as only having a positive taper, then no, but if you define any 1/4 WL resonator, be it zero (straight), positive or negative taper, as a horn since it provides a greater gain BW than a simple sealed or reflex box, then yes.

Regardless, one should use whatever taper or series of tapers that gets the desired response in a given bulk, so now that Hornresp and a few other programs have made such esoteric speaker alignments available to the general public at little to no cost that historically were only available to professional acoustical engineers and the most ardent of DIYers it seems almost criminal to me not to take full advantage of it.

FYI, ALL speaker alignments are band-pass alignments. ;)

GM

so now that Hornresp and a few other programs have made such esoteric speaker alignments available to the general public at little to no cost that historically were only available to professional acoustical engineers and the most ardent of DIYers it seems almost criminal to me not to take full advantage of it.

FYI, ALL speaker alignments are band-pass alignments. ;)

GM
I totally agree :up:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.