Build your own 2x12" TH (The Kraken 212 TH) - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2011, 11:05 PM   #111
diyAudio Member

Some pretty powerful amps can be had for cheap from Craigslist. I got an xti 2000 for $350 (has all the DSP you need) and a qsc rmx 1450 for 150 (no DSP but selectable high pass filtering)
You may want something like that to drive your Kraken to its full potential
Old 8th November 2011, 01:02 AM   #112
18Hurts is offline 18Hurts  United States
diyAudio Member

I think the term for this is "mission creep"

Needed some tunes in the garage, had some old electronics around--time passes on the DIY forums and a pair of line arrays show up. Works well in the acoustic mess of a garage and I do have this old sub laying around...throw that in the mix and and sounds better.

But I want more! Thanks to Petter and the Kraken, a single 12" woofer, two sheets of wood and some effort and that is taken care of. It would make sense to build a second one for cookouts so add another one--have to have a "real" amp so...

Luckily it is now the winter season so the TH education can continue and I'll have the first one built before the snow melts. As the spring warms a second Kraken will show up for summer BBQs... The Xti and XLS series look to be the perfect solution and...

My wife hates DIY Audio...
Old 8th November 2011, 08:30 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
Personally I don't think this sub would suit music playback very well.
Look how things get above 70hz or so in the sim. You're not really getting a clean flat 2 octaves out of this horn...And unless you have some large mains, the subwoofer will be trying to play higher than that 70hz...
I know you said you wanted it for pipe organ playback, but that's probably one of the few types of music which has content under 30hz...
Also with a horn of this size (path length) you need a good deal of delay set up via DSP for your mAins to keep things from sounding muddy

Well...it all has to do with preferences and compromises as you know. First
of all, the horn is not built yet, so I don't think we should speculate about
the high freq. response without hard facts.

2 octaves is no problem to get. The trade of is size, sensitivity and dynamics.
The different TH I have built so far have sounded more dynamic and music
frendly the higher throat to mouth ratio there were. Also, to get decent
sensitivity, I had to sacrifice some band width. The Kraken series has been
optimized according to my personal preferences based on several builds for
example 6.5", 12", 15" and finally 18", the 18 Sound 18NLW9600.

I usually recomend to use a delay on the mains if the horn length exceeds 3
meters. Otherwise the bass tones will arrive to late with a .
Old 8th November 2011, 08:31 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

18 Hurts, really looking forward to your build
Old 8th November 2011, 10:19 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petter Persson View Post
18 Hurts, really looking forward to your build
The project got green lighted by the boss (my wife) with stipulations--it will start after Christmas since real world projects are sucking up the time. I think my Christmas present will weigh around 7.75 KG in a box about a certain size.

I was pondering the delay and due to having to back up about 4 meters from the line arrays, should I move the Kraken along the side wall forward? The optimal listening position in the garage has a couch located in the spot so I'm thinking if the Kraken sits next to the couch that would increase the perceived output and help with the delay of the horn path?

Don't think there will be any complaints about bass capability when a tapped horn is about 30cm away from the couch you're sitting on.
Old 9th November 2011, 02:33 AM   #116
diyAudio Member

Can the mouth of the Kraken X1 be moved to the thinner profile of the front? Placement may be easier when layed down or when boundry loaded. Any input?
Old 10th November 2011, 02:30 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakrsrfun View Post
Can the mouth of the Kraken X1 be moved to the thinner profile of the front? Placement may be easier when layed down or when boundry loaded. Any input?
From my understanding (those that are skilled with this PLEASE inform us less knowledgeable) the horn opening location is not very critical--but it's dimensions are.

Danley Sound Labs has tapped horns that have switchable output mouths--you can change the mouth to different positions. I assume this is not a critical thing so you can put the "mouth" on the front but it will change things considering horn path length. The mouth must be the same area as the side mouth so considering the front panel is not as wide--you have to go up to get the same area. This will change the horn path length which will change the tuning. Will it matter? I'm not that far with Horn Response and full understanding of horns but it might not matter in reality.

Can you make the "mouth" the same dimensions but wrap it around the front? Makes sense that it would not matter but I'm assuming you want the mouth only on the front side--you'll have to increase the height to get the same area which will change the horn path length and tuning slightly.

I'm progressing with the Kraken 1x12 and doing my research before I start cutting wood--wish I could be more informative but I'm at that critical area known as the "grey zone" smart enough to mostly understand but too ignorant to get every last specification clear. As far as I understand, the mouth should be fine with a front location as long as the area is the same as the side vent and you don't shorten the horn path length too much.

If I every write cryptic code... DIY will equal OCD.
Old 10th November 2011, 02:25 PM   #118
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi speakrsrfun,

The side mouth would be 24.3" high, the path to the center of the mouth would be 3"shorter and the simulation hardly changes.

Regards,
Old 10th November 2011, 05:02 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakrsrfun View Post
Since the depth of the speaker is greater than the width of the opening it is
okey to make a side opening. Just make it the same height, 320 mm.
Old 10th November 2011, 05:06 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

Here is the 19mm = 3/4" Kraken 112. Use the same bracing as in the 22mm version.

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
should I move the Kraken along the side wall forward?

The optimal listening position in the garage has a couch located in the spot so I'm thinking if the Kraken sits next to the couch that would increase the perceived output and help with the delay of the horn path?
Yes.

Yes

Hide this!Advertise here!