Build your own 2x12" TH (The Kraken 212 TH)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally have the Kraken 12-1 finished and installed. Powered with a QSC mx1500a with the subwoofer filter with 100hz lowpass and approx 13.5 hz high pass. (next available resistor array is 20hz)
Dark Knight Rises, when Bane fights Batman. The bass hit for the punches is sweet. Although, it does show the problem with a tapped horn; The sound/feeling is late.

Now watching Avengers. :D

I didn't have a subwoofer previously.

Finally have the Kraken 12-1 finished and installed. Powered with a QSC mx1500a with the subwoofer filter with 100hz lowpass and approx 13.5 hz high pass. (next available resistor array is 20hz)
Dark Knight Rises, when Bane fights Batman. The bass hit for the punches is sweet. Although, it does show the problem with a tapped horn; The sound/feeling is late.

Now watching Avengers. :D

I didn't have a subwoofer previously.
curius ,what ressistor nw you use?

My avr does not have timing for the subwoofer, (everything else is available). The issue I have is from the strike of those very low frequency blows on the screen, the sound comes after. I would need to delay the video to fix it correctly.
In real life, you always hear the sound after you see the event, roughly one millisecond delay for each foot distant from the event.

By adding delay to the video to "fix it correctly" you are making it unreal.

Is it possible to use thiner plywood than 19mm or mdf 19mm?

What is the best glue for this build, availible in Europe?

I would strongly recomend agains using thiner plywood then Petter has specified. Theoretically you could but you had to compensate with a huge amount af bracing and I am convinced it will not be easier and probably not better.

When it comes to glue i recomend some kind of PU-Glue (polyutherane based glue) It is easy to work with and have the fantastic feture that it expands and fills evry little crack and gap and thus makes the horn path air tight. Dont get it on your finger though, it will stain them and the only way to get rid of it is with a rasper. :)

kind regards
/Fredrik

Last edited:

I'd like to figure out how to do this too, if I can get the hpf running at line level ~15 hz it's one less thing I need the MiniDSP for.

In real life, you always hear the sound after you see the event, roughly one millisecond delay for each foot distant from the event.

By adding delay to the video to "fix it correctly" you are making it unreal.

I understand that light is faster than sound, but this a big delay. It's almost like across a football field delay (old science class experiment clapping boards together) when the scene is filmed with you supposed to be right in with the action. Maybe it's my receiver or the way the audio was mixed. I don't have the equipment to check it.

I'd like to figure out how to do this too, if I can get the hpf running at line level ~15 hz it's one less thing I need the MiniDSP for.

The secondhand QSC amp came with the SF-1 subwoofer filter.
It's chart is as follows.
hz ohm
20 82000
25 68000
32 56000
35 47000
40 39000
50 33000
63 27000
80 20000
100 18000
135 12000
160 10000
200 8200
250 6800
I originally used linear interpolation. This was incorrect however. It should have been a form of logarithmic interpretation.
Using excel a 100k ohm should give a 15.4 hz highpass filter if you follow the curve generated by the trend line.

Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to test this however.
The forum is not letting me include a picture of the excel unfortunately.

AwjeVbn+7JpxAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

The secondhand QSC amp came with the SF-1 subwoofer filter.
It's chart is as follows.
hz ohm
20 82000
25 68000
32 56000
35 47000
40 39000
50 33000
63 27000
80 20000
100 18000
135 12000
160 10000
200 8200
250 6800
I originally used linear interpolation. This was incorrect however. It should have been a form of logarithmic interpretation.
Using excel a 100k ohm should give a 15.4 hz highpass filter if you follow the curve generated by the trend line.

Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to test this however.
The forum is not letting me include a picture of the excel unfortunately.

broken.png
i use a simular type of filter(uf-2) on my qsc amps
thats why i sugested the 100k here

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.