Build your own 2x12" TH (The Kraken 212 TH)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you play a 10 Hz sine wave through a cheap driver close to xmax and hear anything (except for some faint hissing from forced air-flow through the voice coil gap) you can be pretty sure it is distortion you are hearing.

Yes, because there's no audible signal to mask the distortion.

Try that trick at 35 Hz, with the driver in a box rather than held in free air so it produces an audible 35 Hz output. Try increasing the volume level until you think you can perceive distortion - or better, turn it up until distortion is definitely audible, then turn it back down until you think the distortion has dropped to unnoticeable levels, then measure THD with REW. Try it with music first, then pure sine waves :).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A lovely mix of fire hazard, acute risk of being electrocuted and positive current feedback. :D

You can also see my cheap and crappy car audio coaxial below.
The green and yellow cable with an alligator clip on sets the amount positive current feedback via a series of resistors. It was stable enough to change settings while I was playing music or sine waves through it. There was a small thump, but nothing destructive for the speaker.

Last edited:
I have 4 of the Infinity 1260w drivers, and I am wondering (as others have) if these could work well in this design. I have tried downloading Hornresp, but my computerskills are horrible and I cant even get it running... Even if I did I am pretty shure I would not understand much. I am more a builder than designer. ;) If anyone would be so kind as to help an old fart with this, it would be much appreciated.

having 4 of the same drivers, and wanting to do something interesting with them i entertained the idea of the krakken some time ago.
attached is a simulation of a krakken enclosure loaded with the 1262s and in light gray is a simple ported enclosure @ 2 cu ft per driver tuned to 20hz, so 112L. both at 2pi and both set so excursion bumps 13mm. (30V for the TH, 25V for the ported cab)
performance of the ported enclosure could be improved by making it larger, but for a quick check.

Attachments

• kraken vs ported.JPG
    kraken vs ported.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 321
having 4 of the same drivers, and wanting to do something interesting with them i entertained the idea of the krakken some time ago.
attached is a simulation of a krakken enclosure loaded with the 1262s and in light gray is a simple ported enclosure @ 2 cu ft per driver tuned to 20hz, so 112L. both at 2pi and both set so excursion bumps 13mm. (30V for the TH, 25V for the ported cab)
performance of the ported enclosure could be improved by making it larger, but for a quick check.

Thanks snappy. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.