Small subs to match open baffles?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not along ago I built a pair of the MJK open baffles (FE108ez and Alpha 15A), which sound good but I am a bit let down by the bass performance.

I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea to build a pair of small subs to go with the open baffles?

What small subwoofer drivers would integrate well? (my room is only small at around 3.5m x 3.5m).

Would this dynafone 10" driver which caught my interest be a possibility?

Dynafone 10" Bass Unit (Price Each) - eBay, Speakers Subwoofers, Home Audio, Electronics. (end time 13-Feb-10 19:37:11 AEDST)

Not along ago I built a pair of the MJK open baffles (FE108ez and Alpha 15A), which sound good but I am a bit let down by the bass performance.

I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea to build a pair of small subs to go with the open baffles?

What small subwoofer drivers would integrate well? (my room is only small at around 3.5m x 3.5m).

Would this dynafone 10" driver which caught my interest be a possibility?

Dynafone 10" Bass Unit (Price Each) - eBay, Speakers Subwoofers, Home Audio, Electronics. (end time 13-Feb-10 19:37:11 AEDST)
Are you kidding me? There are Exodus and CSS drivers available in Oz already with more output than that toy.

Thanks for the advice guys, I didn't reply sooner as I didn't realise there were replies.

I'll give the dynafone a miss and consider the suggested options.

Woody, i'm using a Rotel solid state amp with 60w per channel. The bass is not bad, it's just that I'd prefer more I guess. Although the more I listen to them, the more I am starting to be impressed by their bass performance.

The bass is weak because there is no 6db/oct. dipole EQ. The Alpha 15 could do much better.

I reckon having this filter (1 op-amp) between your pre and amp would be a better value and the polar response is kept as dipole. I had used the Alphas before and they definitely have great bass (no shortage of bass reported on EP CS2!)

Building the filter using breadboard may cost you about $15.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.