new lab15

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll admit that I've found this driver a little confusing. It has a higher fs than the original lab 12, but a similar sensitivity, and it's a bigger driver.

For PA applications (including tapped horn) the parameters are a bit strange -- Mmd is very high for a 15" driver, even one with relatively large Xmax, so efficiency is low.

It looks more like a car/home sub type driver in some ways, but its Xmax and Pe are lower than many other drivers for these uses.

Difficult to see what it's good for, there a better drivers for nearly any application I can think of...

I suppose if they dropped the resonance to 18Hz, and made it take a bigger box, we'd all be happy.

I get the impression it's one of those that you can use with a small ish box, and it will go quite low, pretty loud, and it won't be huge (think portable disco).
Otherwise, it's too high a resonance for true HT.
I suppose, moving that much air, it would stand some serious eq... Even so, there's probably drivers out there more suited to such applications.

For PA applications (including tapped horn) the parameters are a bit strange -- Mmd is very high for a 15" driver, even one with relatively large Xmax, so efficiency is low.

It looks more like a car/home sub type driver in some ways, but its Xmax and Pe are lower than many other drivers for these uses.

Difficult to see what it's good for, there a better drivers for nearly any application I can think of...

I agree, so I am sitting on the sidelines watching, I am sure that someone has an appropriate cabinet in mind. Maybe I can learn something.

...Difficult to see what it's good for, there a better drivers for nearly any application I can think of...

Hi iand,All..

I think of a T-TQWT use, for both Music and HT. :)

Thoughts in pictures..:

b

Attachments

• 1-Lab15 tapped-plots.jpg
    1-Lab15 tapped-plots.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 388
  • 2-Lab15- Mid Bass-TH.GIF
    2-Lab15- Mid Bass-TH.GIF
    141.9 KB · Views: 377
  • 3-EminenceLAB15_T-TQWT-comp.jpg
    3-EminenceLAB15_T-TQWT-comp.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 371
  • 4-EminenceLAB15_T-TQWT.GIF
    4-EminenceLAB15_T-TQWT.GIF
    181 KB · Views: 320
  • 5-EminenceLAB15_HR-OD_comp_MJK-TL.GIF
    5-EminenceLAB15_HR-OD_comp_MJK-TL.GIF
    84.6 KB · Views: 310
Hi,

FYI, A dual Lab15 driver T-TQWT: See the picture.

PS: The first picture in my posting #29 here above were simulated from the submitted TH text file in Post# 10 ( lab15_tp.txt ) and not my recommendation ( :down: ) for a Sub to be used in any home environment due to the obviously need for FR equalization and the need for signal delaying the main speakers.

b

Attachments

• 2xEminenceLAB15_T-TQWT.GIF
    2xEminenceLAB15_T-TQWT.GIF
    180.3 KB · Views: 143
I'd want my lab15 the other way.

I'm with Davy on this one. You can have your 18 Hz Fs "subwoofers" that take kilowatts (and need every one of them to get loud).

Give me a well-made 15 inch driver with a 35 to 40 Hz Fs, 95+ dB 1W efficiency, 18+ mm of one-way Xmax, 30+ mm of Xmech, a Vas of less than 100 L, a high BL, and reasonable Q values. I don't really see a need for more than 500 W of RMS power handling. Make it cost less than $200.

The Lab15 is so close, but not quite.

Oh - and I want a pony too. :D

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.