Do tapped horn designs scale?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking at Volvotreter's 38Hz Tangband Tapped Horn using a 6" driver. Tangband also makes a 8" driver. Given I have no design software and I know the dimensions of the 6" horn cabinet, can I just scale the dimension up to fit the 8" driver? Correct me if I'm totally off here, but I was thinking the 8" would go lower and still not be a huge cabinet like a 12" or 15" would be. I could even fit two in my system if needed.

On this sort of design, you don't want to guess and you don't want to assume.

No need to guess since HORNRESP is available, free and easy to use.
Don't assume drivers from the same manufacturer are going to have "similar" T/S parameters. You need to look them up and feed them into HORNRESP. There are plenty of HORNRESP examples to get you started

On this sort of design, you don't want to guess and you don't want to assume.

No need to guess since HORNRESP is available, free and easy to use.
Don't assume drivers from the same manufacturer are going to have "similar" T/S parameters. You need to look them up and feed them into HORNRESP. There are plenty of HORNRESP examples to get you started

This bears repeating.

The short answer is no.

I did download the software but on initial glance it might as well be in braille. I looked through the help but it doesn't make sense to me. The speaker specs don't seem to plug in. It looks more like you tell it what horn you want and it tells you something else. Sorry for the total confusion but this thing just makes me feel stupid.

I built this from scratch:

complete.jpg

But this seems to be beyond me:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You can go to the tapped horn section on William Cowan`s site. William Cowan's Homepage
Scroll all the way down and you find a TH script for AKABAK to copy.

Hope this helps.

Peter
If he is having problems understanding HORNRESP, then recommending using AKABAK does not make much sense. Perhaps I am missing your logic.

There are already HORNRESP setup ups for VOLVOTRETER's TH sub. Modifying one of these would seem to be easier. However, at some point he is going need to roll up his sleeves and get some degree of understanding about HORNRESP. I think it is worth the effort.

If he is having problems understanding HORNRESP, then recommending using AKABAK does not make much sense. Perhaps I am missing your logic.

There are already HORNRESP setup ups for VOLVOTRETER's TH sub. Modifying one of these would seem to be easier. However, at some point he is going need to roll up his sleeves and get some degree of understanding about HORNRESP. I think it is worth the effort.

Hi, my logic was this: at Cowans site there is a ready made script to copy and paste into akabak. And having to change only driver parameters and horn dimensions isn`t too hard I think.
I myself havent figured out how to use the tapped horn wizard in hornresp yet, using Cowan`s script was easier for me.

Another hornresp/tapped horn tutorial:

Simple Tapped Horn Tutorial using Hornresp - AVS Forum

Good luck. (and beautiful work!)

Thanks for the link and thanks for the compliment. I was raised there is only once way to do something and that is the right way. Add to that my personal trait of being a bit obsessive and I can get a little picky. But then when I'm done things tend to turn out nice. Take for instance these horns I built for my 2-channel rig in the living room; Baltic birch and MDF veneered in sapelel pommele.

livingroom112809b.jpg

Wow. That is amazing.

I wish I had a fraction of that attention to detail. My version of "finishing" a cabinet is connecting a couple of speaker wires with alligator clips to see what it sounds like.

Sadly - I'm not kidding....:D

I think most of us are in precisely the same boat.

Wardsweb, are you looking for a design for the Tang Band W8-740P? I don't follow subs too closely, but I think there are several floating around, including the TH-Spud (a bigger effort for two drivers). I think a couple of quick searches might get you what you need without ever having to learn to use Horn Response. Though Horn Response is much, much easier than building speakers that pretty. If worse comes to worse, I'd trade you some simulations for those cabinets;)

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

I think most of us are in precisely the same boat.

......If worse comes to worse, I'd trade you some simulations for those cabinets;)

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

Is that an option???:D

Seriously - HR is not that hard to learn (I figured it out - that says something...), but like Paul said, there are a lot of designs floating around out there already. Not that my work is anything special, but I'll likely post a few more designs pretty shortly.

Thanks guys. I decided my skills lend themselves to building and not so much to designing. So I've changed my requirements. Looks like the TH-SPUD is in my future. Because of its size, I was thinking about covering it venitian plaster to match the walls of the home theater, but my wife says let it make a statement in the room. I have a lot of ebony veneer that will work. I'll post pics when done.

I was raised there is only once way to do something and that is the right way. Add to that my personal trait of being a bit obsessive and I can get a little picky. But then when I'm done things tend to turn out nice. Take for instance these horns I built for my 2-channel rig in the living room; Baltic birch and MDF veneered in sapelel pommele.
livingroom112809b.jpg
Question (sorry for the derail):

If you're so interested in doing things right, why would you have such a huge spacing gap between the woofer and horn? I don't see how this can be anywhere close to 'right'.

Question (sorry for the derail):

If you're so interested in doing things right, why would you have such a huge spacing gap between the woofer and horn? I don't see how this can be anywhere close to 'right'.

That would depend on what your definition of right is. How is this so far off from a JBL DD66000, Altec A7-500 Magnificent or Classic Audio Reproductions T-1?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.