On the subject of subwoofers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2001, 06:49 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

jteef

I was just goofing about the SLAMM klones, but not the Shiva's.

For my big IB Shiva's were chosen on the basis of their performance, not the cost.

Adire doesn't 'cut corners' They make informed desisions as to what impacts the sound and what is window dressing. And no Shiva's aren't 'cheap' in any sense of the word.

Anyway also consider the BPD1203. We have a pair of them and a pair of the 1503. For the money these are very impressive drivers. They will play louder, but won't go as deep as the Adire drivers. Remember that the very high excursion drivers have a high VC inductance and need parametric EQ to flatten the rising output in the 60-70Hz range.

One final thought. You can get a pair of Maggie MMG's delivered for $550. Add a pair of the Linkwitz Phoenix dipole woofers and you'll have a wonderful sounding hybrid planar system, for very moderate cost. When you move up to ESL's in the front, put the MMG's in as rears. They make a great rear for ESL's, I know that's what I use in my system

Hide this!Advertise here!