Looking for an EQ unit to go between pre + power for sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any recomendations for an EQ unit suitable for use with a subwoofer?

I am looking at one or two 15" subs maybe up to two dual 15"'ers running from a Behringer EP4000 in an AV set up, bass signal will be from teh AV sub out but due to playing with various cabs and drivers I would like to be able to tune and control these in some way.

An adjustable rumble filter is probably what I am really looking for, maybe some sort of upper cut off too?

Anything that can be used or bought here in the UK would be fine, even if I can only cut the bass out below 20Hz that would suit the JBL drivers I currently use.

Many thanks,
Steve

My 2-cents.

The better the woof, the more you want a really effective 24dB/octave LF filter and starting to roll off higher than you might imagine - say starting at 25 Hz - nothing but garbage and subway trains passing underneath the studio below that.

What's really swell is two things: (1) a repeated recording of a sweep tone, say from 300 to 20 with chirp markers at 50 Hz points on the way down and (2) a parametric equalizer with say two or three elements in the woofer range.

While sine waves cause standing waves in your room, sweeping reduces that some and besides, a lot of LF content is kind of steady and sine-like.

Hmm, seems like my post never posted. The electrons must have gotten tired and not made it, I'll have to feed them better :-D

If you want to cut out sub-bass garbage, you need a highpass filter, not an EQ. The EQ will only cut at the EQ frequency-below that, all the crud gets through. The more dB per octave, the more crud it will cut, but the more it can affect the sound.

If you want to be able to adjust the sound while you play with different subs, I have an alternate suggestion: use an adjustable crossover instead. Get one which allows the highpass frequency to the satellites to be different from the lowpass frequency to the subs. Ideally, get a unit which will let you adjust the crossover slope. Between subs and satellites, there is a lot of overlap, and controlling the crossover will let you control the response. For example, if there is a peak at the crossover frequency, spread the frequencies apart (i.e. lowpass at 60 but highpass at 100 or whatever) and the peak will reduce. It's an old car audio trick but applicable at home as well.

The reason I suggest that is that in the bass range, most problems are caused in the time domain by reflections and standing waves. Typical graphic EQs work in the frequency domain, and can't really address those problems. An exception would be something like the Audyssey EQ which IS time-based.

A parametric EQ can still have to value to cut a remaining peak or two. And remember-sharp response dips are generally due to acoustic cancellation, so don't try to boost those frequencies with an EQ. Those dips need to be fixed by changing the crossover or phase or room position and acoustics.

Something like the Reckhorn sounds fine, but is it suitable for use with a single RCA sub out from an AV reciever?

Being able to sum the mono bass out to two power amps would be handy. But the main requirement is for the high pass/rumble filter/dooh dah. I want to be able to adjust the low bass is some way, such as a switchable filter to cut the bass at 25Hz or 20Hz or 17Hz or 14Hz as examples. for instance a current design I want to build could use a rumble filter/High pass at 17Hz, another at 20Hz a future build maybe 14Hz?

Protecting the bass drivers from over excursion is the main reason for this.

Something available in the UK would be prefereable.

I don't know a specific model, but it seems to me like you need a couple-way crossover where you can use an adjustable highpass as your rumble filter. I think that means you need a 3-way:
- The very lowest lowpass unused
- The next highpass for rumble, feeding the sub
- The next lowpass cutting highs out of the sub
- The next highpass to the satellites
and of course the frequencies need to be very adjustable.

Just came across the NHT crossovers. So impressed, I decided to order 1 !

NHT Electronics - X2 electronic crossover

Nice to see these back; I use one (rather heavily modified) for my bass speakers and am thoroughly happy with it. You'll be pleased- it's very versatile and performs exactly as advertised.

I'm less happy to see NHT peddling magic wire. The Ken Kantor days are far, far behind them.

Nice to see these back; I use one (rather heavily modified) for my bass speakers and am thoroughly happy with it. You'll be pleased- it's very versatile and performs exactly as advertised.

Yes, they seem quite amenable to modification. I've even found the schematics online.
What mods have you done?
I plan to mod mine for 6dB EQ at 25Hz (I believe the X1 has 12 dB EQ at 25Hz), and also look at installing some better parts.

The Behringer MIC 2200 works great as a SSF, PEQ, and balanced line converter. By combining a filter and a PEQ you can make almost any filter you could want for subwoofer use.

MIC2200SSF.jpg

1.jpg

More Pics

In my last system the config was preouts from an AVR to an integrated amp for mains and LFE out to the MIC2200 then balanced lines to a pro amp for sub duty. hige quality 2ch sources to the integrated and the rest to the AVR. Full range bliss for 2ch sources. Subs located up front between the mains firing to the side cabinets tight to the wall. 120hz xover, good room curve, and way above reference for the multichannel sources.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.