I have 2 Boston G5 Car Audio Subwoofers (sound quality type) For home use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there any way to tell from the Parameters in my manual if this subwoofer will be a good candidate for Home use? Reason why is I have 2 of these sitting around and I have the itch to maybe incorporate these into my new 2ch. So would that be a 2.1? or 2.2?

If I posted the parameters could someone help and guide me through please?

Boston Acoustics G5 dual 4ohm VC subwoofer ---wired at 8ohm----

FS: (HZ) 28.88
RE (ohms) 6.20
Qms: 9.93
Qes: .49
Qts: .47
Vas: Liters 75.28
Mms: Grams 148.5
Cms (um/Newton) 215
Xmax: (Mm) 15.0
Xmech: (Mm) 45
Sd: (CM(2) 499
Bl: (Tesla-M) 18.30
SPL Eff: (db@1W/1M) 87.2
SPL Sen: (db2.83v) 88.3
Thank you
Derek.

Is there any way to tell from the Parameters in my manual if this subwoofer will be a good candidate for Home use? Reason why is I have 2 of these sitting around and I have the itch to maybe incorporate these into my new 2ch. So would that be a 2.1? or 2.2?

If I posted the parameters could someone help and guide me through please?

Boston Acoustics G5 dual 4ohm VC subwoofer ---wired at 8ohm----

FS: (HZ) 28.88
RE (ohms) 6.20
Qms: 9.93
Qes: .49
Qts: .47
Vas: Liters 75.28
Mms: Grams 148.5
Cms (um/Newton) 215
Xmax: (Mm) 15.0
Xmech: (Mm) 45
Sd: (CM(2) 499
Bl: (Tesla-M) 18.30
SPL Eff: (db@1W/1M) 87.2
SPL Sen: (db2.83v) 88.3
Thank you
Derek.

Hi Derek,

A T-TQWT using a single driver would be enough for use as a main high SQ HT sub. :)

b

Attachments

• BostonG5_car-T-TQWT.GIF
    BostonG5_car-T-TQWT.GIF
    195.1 KB · Views: 87
How would I go about finding which kind of enclosure is right for the G5.
What is a T-TQWT? I looked at the picture that bjorno sent and I cant enlarge it to see what he was trying to say.

EDIT: I found the expand button for the pic. WOW I really have not a clue what im looking at here. Can someone summarize the the graph that bjorno posted please?

Thanks again
Derek.

Last edited:
Those are really nice drivers. They will work well in sealed or ported enclosures, as well as a lot of the more esoteric stuff like bandpass boxes or tapped horns.

Run them off a decent pro-amp, you'll have plenty of power.

Bjorno's response is a compilation of hornresp screengrabs. Hornresp is free software that many of us use to model front and back-loaded horns, tapped horns, and TTQWT (Tapped, Tapered Quarter Wave Tube) enclosures.

We all have our favorites, we all have our reasons. Personally, I like the performance of these drivers in a tapped horn, but it is not a small box.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.