Enclosure design for pair of JBL 2226H

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, new member here. I can't believe I have never been here before, for how long I have been an audio nut!

Anyway, I am building a high output sub for a sort of unique situation for a customer. He is going to be using it in a very loud audio room in his home, plus he is wants to play along with it, when him and his band buddies get together. Note- he will not be plugging an instrument into it like a bass guitar, just having it playing the song they are playing at the time.

He is a JBL fanatic, so I cannot use anything else, so the 2226H seems to be the choice. It will be 2 of these drivers in one cabinet, ported, not wanting to tune too low, as this will be used for strictly music, primarily kick drum (rock) type bass, and loud. Power will be Crown, approx 800-1200 rms per driver.

Any assistance with the airspace and tuning would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

"It will be 2 of these drivers in one cabinet, ported, not wanting to tune too low, as this will be used for strictly music, primarily kick drum (rock) type bass, and loud."

A 2235 would be a very poor choice. A 2242 while great, is a fortune.

Personally, I would get four Eminence 15s. More performance, less money.

2242 or 2235 would be better choices. 2226 is a midbass driver. An excellent midbass driver but definitely not a sub except in BIG boxes in a prosound sense

If used in a home envirement, I dont see any reason why not. Given that they are driven active with eq applied. As mentoned above, I have two 2226H in a 100L closed enclosure, and powered by a Crown XTi 2000 and a low shelf filter its good for about 105db from 20hz and up.

"Eminence, while good, is not in the same league as the 2226. "

Used properly, Eminence can outperform JBL, and at a fraction of the price. In the USA Eminence has a better warranty than JBL. When your JBL 2226 blows up I suggest you try the Eminence KAPPA PRO-15LF-2. It will cost less than a recone on the JBL 2226. All my cabinets are push-pull slot-loaded (PPSL) which has less bass distortion than shorting rings do, and no shorting rings to work loose and destroy the woofer (as has been known to do on JBL).

CoePA-2009.jpg

My drivers are a custom design built for me by Eminence, and they cost about 1/6th what a 2226 sold for. I have a few JBL drivers laying around, mainly ones that were swapped out for my design. I keep the JBL around to compare against my drivers.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.