Enclosure design for pair of JBL 2226H - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2010, 04:53 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Default Th 2226

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorno View Post
Hi

IMO, The JBL2226H-8 in a compact T-TQWT enclosure would be a good choice for a quality sub.

b
did you build this? can you show the cabinet layout?
cheers
Old 2nd February 2010, 07:09 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
2242 or 2235 would be better choices. 2226 is a midbass driver. An excellent midbass driver but definitely not a sub except in BIG boxes in a prosound sense
Yeah, I'd agree. 2242 is PA-style, 2235 more studio-style.

How big a cabinet size will your friend accept? The JBL cabinet mentioned before is 104 pounds! PA subs are just huge, very heavy, will need to be on casters, watch the dimensions or they won't fit through doors. You've really got to lean on him to specify what he really wants size-wise.

Put each driver in isolated enclosures. That way if one blows up, it won't unload the other and take it down as well.

Also, make a cabinet big enough for humongous ports. For those applications, the port is actually moving most of the air. At high SPL it just jets in and out, but at lower volumes radiusing the ports will help. I like big shelf ports myself, and DON'T obstruct them with grilles.

As for the amp-can his electrical service support that? Might actually be better of bridged into 2x16 ohms = 8 ohms total. Just a wild speculation.
Old 7th February 2010, 02:30 AM   #33
justint is offline justint  United States
diyAudio Member

for what it is worth... i just put a 2226 in a titan 48 box that i built running on an adcom 555II bridged and I am getting some great spl #'s
Old 7th March 2010, 02:49 AM   #34
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

SpeakerBuilding.com - Almighty Subwoofers, Page 1
Old 7th March 2010, 03:52 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

How high are they supposed to be crossed or are they not crossed at all?

Best regards Johan
Old 7th March 2010, 06:22 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rademakers View Post
How high are they supposed to be crossed or are they not crossed at all?

Best regards Johan
The 2226 has excellent breakup performance and there are many successful implementations where they cross to a horn/WG at 1k or so.
Personally, I prefer to cross a 15 at 300-400Hz which is as high as I'm going to use my 2225 and where I crossed the 2226 in my PA.

These drivers don't make very good subs - there are dedicated drivers that have much better performance down low. But they are exceptional midbasses from 40Hz or so and up.
Old 7th December 2010, 01:09 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Default TQWT

IMO, The JBL2226H-8 in a compact T-TQWT enclosure would be a good choice for a quality sub.

I've lucked into 8 2226's and am looking for more impact than my 8" based TH's are producing. Your hornrep figures look great-my problem is I have great difficulty in translating that into an actual design. Any chance that you have or could roughly draw plans-or at a min-show basic areas of a TQWT and where the same hornresp parameters could be found. That's the only way I figured out TH's by looking at labeled TH generic design. THanks
Old 29th April 2014, 02:32 PM   #38
JoshK is offline JoshK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi

b
Sorry to drudge up an old thread, but I recently acquired 6 JBL 2226 (good price) and was searching for good uses of them in a hi-eff hifi system.

I like the T-TQWT idea. I am a little fuzzy with hornresp. Is S2 where you mount the woofer and S4 where you add the port? I'm assuming you can fold this in half and use the taper as an angled divider of a rectangular enclosure.

Basically, I am asking the same thing as Pumpkin above.
Old 5th May 2014, 01:44 PM   #39
JoshK is offline JoshK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi

b
bjorno,

What size port do you need for that enclosure?

Hide this!Advertise here!