WinISD and Bassbox Pro - different simulations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry, I didnt see the last posts!

I just tried the same drivers as you did on the first page and got different results.

Know that you have tried stuffing and losses tweaking you are on the right track. :)

Google Unibox and try it! Its free.

Strange that you didnt get the same results with the drivers on the first page... Try to model two JBL 2226H in Bassbox Pro in a 100L enclosure (that should give a Qtc of 0,5) without the Ql/Qa tweaks on page two. What results do you get then?

I think this is more about knowing your tools rather than a "right" and "wrong" result. I personally love WinISD, both the simple beta version and the more comprehensive pro-version. I do, however, almost never use it with the default values.

But because it is simple and easy to use (at least to me), I use it to get at first impression of how a driver behaves, and to compare how the SPL and other curves change when you modify the box parameters. My experience is that a closed box has a lot of tweaking potential, and I find I can often reduce the volume of the box without significant peaking.

I don't know about any specific shortcomings with simulations on "odd" drivers, but then I may have gone mostly with conventional drivers. Knowing that WinISD beta does not take damping and leakage into account is important, because it tells you that WinISD beta is only an estimation tool. I do, however, find that if you know what leakage and damping can do, it gives you enough information to build a properly sized box that measures close to what you expect.

I have really found only one real bug, but that comes into account when you simulate air flow on several bass ports. I therefore strongly recommend that you NEVER use WinISD to simulate multiple bass ports in the same enclosure. Still, simulating one port is useful for estimation purposes.

Because of its simplicity, I use WinISD beta a lot as a tool to evaluate the usability for different drivers, but when I narrow my selection, I usually turn to more comprehensive tools for more accurate simulations.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.