Need help with HT sub enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So my neighbor asked me to build a subwoofer enclosure for their new home theater setup. Here's the predicament, it's going under the floor and has only a 6"x10" opening that air can flow through. So my first thought was a 4th order bandpass. The problem I'm having is trying to figure out which way to go. Either a low-tuned sealed chamber with a high-tuned ported, or vice versa. Honestly I don't have the slightest clue as to which would work out better, so I need some help. It's most likely going to be for a single 12", nothing crazy. Probably get ~200-300 watts at most. They aren't crazy into movies and whatnot, but I'd like to build them something that performs well and has a fairly broad frequency response. Can anybody give me some tips? I posted this over on avsforums and have gotten no help. :(

Honestly I'm not sure of the exact dimensions quite yet, but it has to be somewhat practical. Its going in between the floor joists and the basement ceiling drywall is already up, so it has to be able to fit through a decent size access panel. 8 feet long is definitely out of the question. haha. Like I said, it doesn't have to be anything crazy. My main question was with a 4th order design, should I go for a high tuned ported/low tuned sealed design, or a low tuned ported/high tuned sealed design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.