diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofers (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/)
-   -   S-Frame subwoofer? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/158274-s-frame-subwoofer.html)

chris661 9th January 2010 09:01 AM

S-Frame subwoofer?

I've had this idea (might even try it), where you (effectively) fold a baffle around a speaker, in the shape of an S

You'd put the woofer in the middle horizontal, and get a dipole output, but the baffle width would seem a lot higher (to the driver) which would result in increased bass output (there would be a lid on this design). I figure that, using an 8" woofer I have knocking around, I could make one that's 6" tall, and 9" square. These could be stackable, for increased bass output.

Someone may have already done this, but I thought it may be worth sharing as the search returned nothing.

Thanks for reading
Chris

j.michael droke 11th January 2010 02:24 AM

Hi There: An enclosure of this type is patetened by Axel Ridthahler and information can be found by Googling: RIPOLE R30. I have constructed a DIY 12-inch single enclosure (operating) and a verticle stacked dual 12-inch DIY version is nearing completion. The single driver version needs a driver with considerable Xmax, so I will be connecting the 2 drivers in the dual version in series. Also you can read-up on ripole, in open back threads and OB theory on Siegfried Linkwitz's site.
... Michael Droke

chris661 11th January 2010 06:21 AM

Ok, thanks for that. Time to do some more reading.

Dr_EM 12th January 2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.michael droke (Post 2042881)
...The single driver version needs a driver with considerable Xmax...

Yes, when I was experimenting with OB, I found the dual driver W-baffle/Ripole to have far more output. Worth persuing imo :)

chris661 12th January 2010 02:32 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I thought they'd be a good way of getting reasonable bass from a small package - for an 8" woofer, you'd need maybe a 10" square, and 5" deep?

Seems like a good way to reduce size to me...

j.michael droke 12th January 2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris661 (Post 2044685)
Thanks for the encouragement. I thought they'd be a good way of getting reasonable bass from a small package - for an 8" woofer, you'd need maybe a 10" square, and 5" deep?

Seems like a good way to reduce size to me...

Hi there: My Ripoles use 12-inch driver(s) in 14x14-inch (14x28 for the dual) x 5.375-inch deep enclosures. ...regards, Michael

tinitus 15th February 2010 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone tried a ripole this way ?

chris661 15th February 2010 05:10 PM

Looks similar to a W-frame system, but with a lid, and more edges. If you put the drivers at an angle to each other, you'll see what I mean.

Here's an idea. Make a ripole sub, but then stuff (heavily) one side. Maybe the attenuation would be enough to have significant output at lower frequencies.

tinitus 15th February 2010 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris661 (Post 2086395)
Looks similar to a W-frame system

It is
Someone created the "ripole" name fore commercial reasons

I think the original general describtion is "folded dipole"

I presented this, because I havent seen it this way before, with openings facing down and up
Drawing also shows kind of a marriage with H-frame, making the baffle effect more effective
Well, maybe kind of a dipole-omni hybrid

chris661 15th February 2010 06:27 PM

Here's a thought...

Instead of just folding the baffle once (ripole, S-frame, whatever you want to call it), why not fold it lots of times around the driver? You'd get some kind of spiral, not sure what that would do...
I don't know how you'd do it with 2 drivers, but it would be easy enough with one...
Chris