Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2010, 05:50 AM   #1
FlipC is offline FlipC  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What to finish cabs in?

SO I am just finishing up some MTM's and subs (Dual 15 THs)
that will be in my HT setup. My deli-ma is How should I finish them?

So I want them black. (they are MDF)
I could veneer them then stain the veneer
Could stain the MDF though something I have never done.(results?)
Black tolex or vinyl (cheesy?)
Melamine (never used)
Or I could just paint them.

I just cant decide...
Old 5th January 2010, 06:18 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

iridescent green and purple auto paint! About any body shop worth it's low rider salt in southern California ought to have it in stock
Old 5th January 2010, 03:55 PM   #3
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

go for the 'pa' look...

texture gun from harbor freight, duratex from acrytech.

Might as well make that dual 15 TH look like it sounds. (and very durable too... something mdf is not known for...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 442.jpg (268.1 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by jbell; 5th January 2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 5th January 2010, 04:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

jbell
Can you take a really close detail pic of any of your cabs that have the duratex finish for me?
I have used it twice on my TH Mini clones.
Neither time did it come out to any extent worth waiting on the duratex. The Durablen bed liner looks just as good and seems to be a bit tougher.
And I have thought about it. BUT that wont match the furniture.

And what plate amp is that?
Old 5th January 2010, 05:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

flip:
it's cold outside... but I went out to the barn and snapped a pic of my behr finishes, and my duratex finishes. unfortunately, the duratex finish pic wasn't well focused, and flash just hot spots back at me...

so here is a pic of my behr ultra premium gloss black paint finish. looks just like the duratex, but the duratex doesn't have that 'dead give away, this is paint' sheen to it, which I know you can't really see in this pic anyway.

I do like duratex because it has the right 'look.' Although the behr has proved to be surprisingly durable.

The texture comes from first putting down a thin orange peel, and after it dries some, standing back at 3-4 feet and splattering big blobs in short bursts from the texture gun. After that, I usually come back for another medium coat or 2 to make sure the finish is good and thick.

that's just a cheap-o mcm plate amp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 046a.JPG (55.2 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by jbell; 5th January 2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 5th January 2010, 06:01 PM   #6
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm mulling over how to finish the subwoofer I have yet to build. Obviously, I'm getting a little ahead of myself here... I'm using plywood and I'm thinking to give it one or two coats of primer (with a light sanding in between if using two coats). Then I'll use a paint roller to apply some matte/satin black paint. I might finish off with a matte/satin clear coat, but I haven't decided. I'll make a couple of test strips on scrap plywood first, obviously. If I get my sorry butt together I can have that done by the weekend and post pictures if you're interested.

Oh... I should probably mention that the look I'm going for is a slightly textured matte black finish. Like a fine orange peel or coarse sand blasted look. I hope the roller will leave enough texture in the paint for this.

~Tom
Old 5th January 2010, 06:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Think I am going to try out that Behr Ultra Premium.
That looks pretty darn good. I

Next time I use Duratex I will roll on a coat and
then use the sprayer. Last time I used some Behr as a primer then sprayed Duratex over the top. (both sprayed)

tomchr - do post pics when your done.
I wont be able to paint mine for a week or 2. (weather and work)
Old 5th January 2010, 06:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

flip:
you can get Behr ultra premium 'oops' paint for $5 a gallon. makes great primer, gives great texture 'build' and then finish with black on top. (makes that $28 a gallon paint go farther...)

In HT, not PA, the gloss my give it a little more 'acceptance' shall we say....

Give it a good week to completely 'cure out' it'll be slightly soft until then. It's kinda like liquid plastic. for paint... there's nothing better.

Tom:
you will have issues with your plywood edges showing through the paint. Bondo is your friend here.

No roller I have tried gives the texture that a $20 gun does. I am the wrong person to advise on how to get a texture with a roller -- I've never been successful texturing with one.
Old 6th January 2010, 09:57 PM   #9
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Last night I managed to get a test strip primed and rolled with Rustoleum flat black oil base paint. Man, when they say "flat black" they mean it!! It's almost a chalkboard finish. I'm not getting the texture I was expecting. There is a hint of some texture from the roller, but most of the surface texture is actually the grain of the plywood that seems to have risen a bit from the primer. I'll give it some clear coat and see how it turns out. But I'm thinking to shoot it with orange peel or something.

My idea of the roller causing a texture was actually from watching my grandfather use a roller for the first time. He was painting some doors and was very disappointed in the 'nubby' look of the rolled on oil paint. But that was probably 20+ years ago and paints have improved since then...

I'm aiming for something along the lines of a satin finish. A slight sheen is OK, but I definitely don't want a piano shine.

~Tom
Old 6th January 2010, 11:01 PM   #10
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipC View Post
Could stain the MDF though something I have never done.(results?)
I have and it can look very good indeed. It accepts stain very well, getting much darker than real wood. Top coat with clear polyurethane.
Give it a try.

Hide this!Advertise here!