very lage folded horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to everyone who try to help me out, I know that i am getting on people nerve.
Please let me explain, My grandparent have a soudsystem and a bar for many years. My grandfather pass away and the soundsystem is deteriorating so i decided to rebuild the soundsystem to keep the bar alive. In my country anyone who have a soundsystem use scoop are bass reflex, so i want to build something different something powerful and loud.

I do not know alot about bass horn and speakers so i am asking for alot of help from anyone who can help me with a good folded horn design.it is for outdoor use in open area. In one of the post someone that 18's are not good for folded horn and i must consider feq range of 30HZ and not 20HZ i am ok with thAT and other idea that will work. I was looking at some 10'' hlc ,lab12'' and selenium15'' for subhorn do not if there are good are not.if anyone can help please help

If you are happy with 35-40Hz as your bottom cut off (and you really should be) and a 15" or multiples of it will do and if you want it outdoors then this Selenium might be what you are looking for. Strong motor, very durable composite cone. I have 6 of these in my outdoor set-up.

It's the WPU 1507 QCF. I was trying to link to it but the PE site doesn't respond right now so try googling it later.

for entertaining a bar crowd a lower frequency roll of @ between 30Hz and 40Hz is good enough.
Down load Danley's paper on how to design the Labhorn.
It will tell you a lot about horn design and what happens when you parallel mouths and what happens when you add extra boundaries.

A 12group of Labhorns performs flying down to 27Hz.
A 6group of Labhorns performs to spec when one boundary is adjacent to the stack. The ground gives that one boundary.

Each Labhorn is ~4feet*3.4feet*1.6feet.
Six Labhorns for ground boundary is ~3600litres (3.6cubic metres) and needs approximately 12kW with a very steep high pass filter.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/127908-jbells-set-four-tapped-horns-4.html#post1598913

I run my set of 4 horns from a single ep2500 amp. It can vibrate the bleachers on the opposite side of the football field.

For permanent install... it's just the ticket. High pass at 38hz.

If you want louder, better overall, but not quite as low... and not as big... can't go wrong with this design.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subw...ecific-tapped-horn-thread-59.html#post1834095

This post references the important post #'s.

Here's the actual cabinet design
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...apped-horn-thread-furysub_2009_dwg_rev_01.pdf

Last edited:
I cant afford a 12kw amps

This stuff doesn't play itself! Even 30Hz at 140 doesn't come easy.

Don't forget you *are* going to need an excellent crossover, too. One that can do a deep high-pass filter to keep your drivers safe from over-excursion damage. The X-over will also need to do time alignment as 7 feet of path length need to be removed from your tops distance, too.

So budget an additional USD$400 or so for a Behringer DCX2496 or a DBX DriveRack-II.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.