Quasi-6th order pyle 21"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And let the fun *and drywall patching* begain.
Today the fedex guy dropped off my new Pyle PDW21250 and I must say it is way past my expectations as far as build quality, I have seen Eminence speakers at twice the cost that do not look/feel as sturdy.
This thing is MASSIVE! I am 6 foot, *182.8cm* the cone is about 5" *127mm* deep the cone looks to move about 5-6mm each way so with it being proaudio i would think its in the 3-4mm each way linear and the hump on the pole cap is about the size of a CD.
T/S as per Magnetar's post thats an average of 4
FS - 31.61 RE - 5.59
RES- 59.81 QMS- 4.03
QES- 0.38 QTS- 0.34
L1- 1.88 VAS - 274.29 liters
SPL - 95.4
Did some quick math and ended up with a quasi-6th order bandpass as the best option for what im looking for.
spec's for the planned box:
b1 = *rear* b2 = *front*
Vb1 6cu.ft
Fb1 14Hz
Port
Vb2 2cu.ft
Fb 1 28Hz
The math gives it an F3 of 8.4 /104.9hz but with the port being at 14Hz i will be giving it an active bandpass filter of 14Hz@6th order/ ~60hz 3rd order. I will keep you all up to date on any updates, may take a bit before i start on this but any questions or feed back are more than welcome.

Attachments

• DSCF0294.JPG
    DSCF0294.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 431
  • DSCF0311.JPG
    DSCF0311.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 416
  • DSCF0293.JPG
    DSCF0293.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 438
  • DSCF0304.JPG
    DSCF0304.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 411
  • DSCF0295.JPG
    DSCF0295.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 398
Could you post some simmed response charts - it sounds to me like you're going to have excursion problems with frequencies so low. After all, it's resonance is mid 30s. I'd say it's designed for a one-box subs for clubs etc, rather than using several 12"s or 15"s

Edit - moving that much air would be fun in a dipole situation.

Edit - moving that much air would be fun in a dipole situation.

agreed, and i am in need of a new coffee table but the size and layout of the room may make it hard to implement.

resp-sim in attachments keep in mind this is a Quasi-6th where one volume is vented to the other and that one is vented to air, so there is some control over the cone till 14Hz.

Attachments

• resp.JPG
    resp.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 170
I have now been giving it 1W rms of white noise for 6hrs, 2W for 6hrs, 10W for 12 and I now have it set at 30w of music for 24hrs, so I should have TS by mid week. At 10W with no cabbnet i had to move it to the basement as it was to loud to keep ignoring, at 2W it was quite nice helped me sleep. Kinda like the sound of the inside of a 737. So far im betting its going to be close to 90Db @ 2.83v.

So there looks to be a good deal of interest in this driver, so screw it, I'm will build and test a sealed, OB, and depending on how it tests others, if there is something you want to see this thing in let me know and funds allowed I will try it..... as long as its not sit the speaker on the floor and enjoy :p

There is no reason why you can't use such a thing, with some spacers around, to make a coffee table of some kind. Put a few blocks around the edge, the put a big piece on top. I've never tried this before, but it may well work - slot-loaded OB kinda thing...

Chris

I understand this. My point is that the slot around the speaker wouldn't let all the rearwaves interfere with the front. By changing the slot height, wouldn't that change how much interraction you'd get? It's the same with OB.

But hey, it's just an idea. Your driver. Do whatever you want with it.

well some where I ended up with fubar measurements. It ended with a Qts a little above .8, So I will be building a bigger test box and after the snow melts going out side to do it all over again. But in free air I gave it a little music and do feel OB will work out nice, There was little driver noise and had good extension with no baffle and little cone movement. The sound was way more accurate than i would have ever thought a speaker of that size would be but lacked on punch but I blame that on being a fan of multiple smaller drivers.

fwiw I briefly tried a Madison X21 on 2'x4' baffle with 1ft wings - IIRC (?) qts was around 1

here was its outdoors response w/o wings with and without effect of LC network (to suck more current) - a better braced baffle may have sounded pretty good - (wings flapped creating modulation effects) I remember some vent noise from the motor under large excursion with 200W/channel amp

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.