DIY Budget Sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a JL Audio car sub that I no longer use and it is in a sealed box that is slightly larger than JL audio recommends.

JL audio recommends an 18"X11"X10.25" \
My box 15"X15"X11" / exterior dimensions 3/4'' mdf

I would like to add it to a budget bookshelf system for music only using the Best Buy Insignia NS B2111 that I am building for fun. I will eventually build some DIY bookshelves.

My JL Audio sub is a 10W0-4. 10" 4 ohm budget sub

Fs 24.2
Qes 0.420
Qms 8.560
Qts. 2.45 ft3 or 69.4 litres
Xmax 8.6mm or .340"
efficiency 85.5db
power handling (continuous) 125 watts

I have been looking at some Parts Express plate amps, Do you have any other budget plate amp suggestions?

Do you think I should build a ported enclosure or stick with the sealed? I am a home builder so I have all the necessary tools.

Thanks for any suggestions and help.

Scott

Attachments

• JL_Audio_T-TQWT.jpg
    JL_Audio_T-TQWT.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 376
It should be also mentioned that this amp has a Hi-Pass filter at 29 hz that would need to be modified for this application.

True, I believe that is also the case with the Dayton, but no documentation is available. In the case of the Foster, considerable details and instructions are provided, as well as a spreadsheet to calculate the appropriate values of resistors.

I am using the exact same subwoofer in my home audio setup. I have tried both sealed and bass reflex enclosures. The sealed enclosure sounds really tight and articulate, but lacks the 20-30hz extension the bass reflex enclosure had. Both types left me wanting. I think a bass reflex design is the most practical, mostly because of the lower extension. I think I may try a transmission line or a folded horn next.

Scott,

I am powering the driver with a Celestion plate amp I salvaged from a HTiB system. Maybe about 50 or 60 watts. My desired results from a horn or TL would be to extract a little more bass in the 30-20hz region. I am using my subwoofer with with a small 2.1 system for my computer. My main speakers are made with a HiVi M4N 4" midbass and a Vifa D19 tweeter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.