How does this look?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've purchased the Reckhorn A-400 sub amp a few years back from CSS.. My expectations are sealed build with high sq for music, not really loud etc.. Was looking at that sub before but it's not so efficient etc.. I could use two of the subs I posted as choices, other idea's welcome.. Would like to buy from Canada to avoid the duty pain, or I would use those high efficient 15'' Eminence drivers from Madisound that ScottG helped me figure out before way back..

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
The Peerless looks suited to a regular sealed box, while the Dayton would work well in an acoustic suspension box. I'm a fan of acoustic suspension so the Dayton is the one I'd pick - 120 lire box, F3=42Hz. Not exactly a small box but it's sure to sound good.

Yeah but??? I'm crapola at that, and was wondering also if maybe anyone had heard or has opinions on these drivers etc.... :)

Neither of those is all that good for a "sub", depending on what you mean by that word.
The peerless will only do ~45Hz F3 in a ~4cubic foot box.
The Dayton will get into the mid 30s sealed, in a ~3cubic foot box.

This is off the top of my head, no software needed...

I've purchased the Reckhorn A-400 sub amp a few years back from CSS.. My expectations are sealed build with high sq for music, not really loud etc.. Was looking at that sub before but it's not so efficient etc..

In a sealed enclosure the SDX10 will get you 103db from 20Hz upwards with a F3 of 44Hz also has a rated xmax of 19mm(one way) - the Dayton doesn't get you a much lower F3

Your OP indicated that you wanted a sub for music purposes, 103db from 20Hz upwards with very very low distortion, no possibly of exceeding xmax and probably integrates well with you mains is what I would choose - you will also pick up a couple of db room gain depending on your placement.

Last edited:
This is off the top of my head, no software needed...

Ron that is because you're good, I'm not lol...

I though "Acoustic Suspension" and "Sealed" were the same thing???

So I'm wondering then what would be some better recommendations for a paper cone subwoofer for best sq in a sealed box or AS? that will only need to play up to 70-100hz max, that I could get here?...

I would like to try AE if I was to purchase from abroad, but not much seems to be going on there lately, and I wouldn't want my order sitting for months etc...

I though "Acoustic Suspension" and "Sealed" were the same thing???

Well, acoustic suspension is a sealed alignment, but sealed alignment may not qualify as an acoustic suspension system. Acoustic suspension means using a sufficently small enclosure such that its stiffness is much greater than that of the woofer's suspension. The combined stiffness/compliance is then dominated by the air which may be quite a bit more linear than the woofer's.

Is there a distortion measurement of the SDX10 woofer? The SDX15 has great output capability, but at somewhat mediocre distortion performance (see HTshack subwoofer measurements).

Thanks John... I want to stay with a closed box, and what about 2 of the 12'''s or 15''s one at each end? I tried to do a program, and it wants qtc which I don't see listed etc..

Any other ideas for a really high sq closed box sub, paper cone, under $300 in Canada already lol :)

Any other ideas for a really high sq closed box sub, paper cone, under $300 in Canada already lol :)

Why paper cone? If a ~100-150L box isn't an issue, take a look at Dayton RSS390HF (209 canadian at solen.ca). It is a high quality woofer with emphasis on reducing distortion arising from non-linear inductance and flux modulation. Not sure how the HO-models perform, they require a smaller box.

Have a look at my measurements (logsweep, ground plane 2m) to see performance in a small box. This box size and resulting Q and high power requirement is probably not your cup of tea, but I'm ultimately using Linkwitz transform and room EQ anyway.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Thanks John... I want to stay with a closed box,

If you don't mind my asking: Why? A properly designed vented sub will outperform a a sealed sub by a wide margin as far as actual bass production is concerned. Making the box bigger and the added complexity of installing a port are the only valid trade offs.

I use Unibox to model speakers. It is very good and very accurate once you learn how to use it and it uses the standard T/S specs.
Qtc is the Q of the designed sealed box - for smoothest response it will be .707.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.