Infra infrabass for 400 square meters: How?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I'd like to experiment infrabass for live performance.
Not as much as an "audio" effect, but more as a physiological effect.
That has to be CHEAP!

- Send 10-50Hz through the wooden floor
We have Buttkicker LFE, Bass Pump, Body Shakers.
Considering the price, I'd go with the Body Shakers, they only do 28-55Hz but they are a good starting point. Any other suggestion?

- Send 5-10Hz waves through the wooden floor.

I know Buttkicker LFE can do it (5Hz resonnant frequency), but price is out of question. I don't need "audio" signaling, just make a (sort of) sinewave at these frequencies.

I was thinking of using a motor (washing machine motor?), use a weight on the axis (like for telephone vibration mode) and control the frequency with a switching supply.

What other solutions would you see?

Thank you very much,
Nicolas

Honestly, infrabass and cheap are mutually exclusive. maybe if you are an engineer and can invent something for yourself, but then you wouldnt post this question :)

So, forget things like "small" "cheap" "easy" if you want <20hz for large spaces. The easiest way would probably be to buy a TH-50 from danley sound labs or maybe some of their DIY kits and hope that the room has enough room gain.

And you don't think the washing machine thing would work?

I'm not at all planning on using it as a musical extension. This is not for music, nor home cinema nor anything like that! I have Nexo subwoofers, L Acoustics subwoofer for that purpose.

I want "tactile" sources, for constant waves (I guess a washing machine won't make a sine, so I just say "wave" ).

More to find "vertigo" or "nausea" effects, which used at a lower level could give an "oppression" feeling - or other feelings I'd like to explore.

10Hz is just 600rpm.
An eccentric weight turning that slow will not generate much force and the floor won't move much.
If you can get the weight heavy enough and the eccentricity high enough then considerable force can be generated and this will give the g force required to be felt.

A pair of eccentric weights geared together so that they create up/down force but cancel side to side force will be better.

The attachment of the geared eccentrics to the floor will need to be very strong.

If you use the floor you will feel the vibration and anything resting on the floor will also vibrate. A motor coupled to a sheet of plywood might work better but it dosnt seem that easy to do. The other thing is, all the harmonic distortion ( and there will probably be a lot of it) will be audible (like just about any object that "vibrates"). What about using a big variable speed drill for the motor, save some effort on the power source.

Attachments

• PA033037_0342_006.jpg
    PA033037_0342_006.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 292
  • PA033005_0374_038.jpg
    PA033005_0374_038.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 289
  • PA033036_0343_007.jpg
    PA033036_0343_007.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 284
For 5 - 20 Hz sine-wave non-audiophile infra-bass the eccentric weight and a controlled electric motor should do wonders.
I had a neighbor that i wanted to drive insane once, and the eccentric weight thing was what i was considering. Bolt it down to the concrete floor, find the structural resonance and leave it running for a week. I didn't do it of course, but the idea was tempting. a 20 pound weight 12 inch off-center on a big industrial electric engine (10 KW or more) bolted hard to a large surface should be able to ruin a house in no time!!! It will transfer kilowatts of energy to the walls, floors and air! That will be similar to something like a 6 x 6 stack of Danley TH50s. The biggest problem that i can see will be transferring that amount of energy without breaking everything.

re:'Just cause those mythbuster folks couldn't prove it, doesn't mean they're right' - actually, it does, Science works by repeating an experiment & seeing whether the result confim the hypothesis or not. OK, you may quibble about the rigour of their 'experiments', but the only effective rebuttle is to produce evidence to the contrary... the lack of this confirms Cal's hypothesis...

but the lack of a positive doesn't make a negative. Disco dumps are well documented. Extreme VLF sure makes me queasy and sick.. Add a pouding beat, which the myth guys DID NOT DO, and watch. Or maybe tightly banded VLF noise..

Yes, I very much disagree with the testing they did for the brown note.

Disco dumps are well documented.

And you think that has something to do with the music?

Extreme VLF sure makes me queasy and sick..

Sure it does, it's jiggling up what you had to drink.

Yes, I very much disagree with the testing they did for the brown note.

Me too. I wanted to see the **** hit the fan, so to speak.

You remember they used ported 18" PA woofers and then fooled around with port plugs (bungs)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.