Sony SA-W303 Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's got an amp, and some interesting controls. I wouldn't say you've been robbed, but your money may well ave been better spent.

I've always been curious about those little, low and rumbly subs - what sort of driver do they use?

its Not a Bad Sub,its a good Value to me...the Bass Peaks somewhere around 40 and isnt Signifigant Below 33...it sounds good.

The Driver is a 6.5" Paper Cone with a Rubber Surround,Flat Dustcap,its Bigger than it looks in the Photos and Quite Heavy.

The Enclosure is Ported...which sony Refers to as "Acoustically Loaded"

the Port Moves alot of Air around 40 Hz,Below the Tuning Frequency the Woofer Unloads abit below 33 Hz.

i should have reworded that to make it Clearer...what i ment to say is the sub isnt Properly Tuned in a Sense...its tuned in the 40's and comparing it to a larger sub i thought it should have been tuned a little lower....the main problem is the Port....its simply too big and i dont believe its Flared so it makes terrible wind noises when pushed Very Hard.

The Sub Meets my Needs though.

i was just thinking how much better this sub,and most other commercial subs would sound if the manufacturer Took more time to Optimize the Sound rather than just throwing a Random Driver in a Random Box.

couldnt Remove the front...but i could get the Grille off...you can somewhat see the Driver in there...its a 6.5" Paper Cone with a Rubber Surround with a flat dustcap.

Attachments

• More Speakers 015.JPG
    More Speakers 015.JPG
    562.8 KB · Views: 373
I've never had a good chance to mess around with one of these - Dad has one in the lounge but it's passive.

Because of this, I made myself a subwoofer, using a pair of 8" woofers in a 42L sealed box.

Seems to me like those woofers are pretty low Qts, but excursion is damped when they're in a box - for the passive one, I took it out of the box, and it would bottom out quite quickly. Put in the box and it was fine until I put 30Hz through it. I'm still not sure how they do the dumbly bass so well though......

I've never had a good chance to mess around with one of these - Dad has one in the lounge but it's passive.

Because of this, I made myself a subwoofer, using a pair of 8" woofers in a 42L sealed box.

Seems to me like those woofers are pretty low Qts, but excursion is damped when they're in a box - for the passive one, I took it out of the box, and it would bottom out quite quickly. Put in the box and it was fine until I put 30Hz through it. I'm still not sure how they do the dumbly bass so well though......

i didnt quite get that last part would you reword please?

Sorry - typo - I meant rumbly bass.

As I said, it seems the woofers have low Qts, ie, rely on the box for mechanical damping to stop over-excursion. Take out of the box, they bottom out very quickly. Put it back in the box, and they go quite loud, and it's when when you push them way below port tuning that you get any nasties. All this makes me wonder - how come they can do the deep, rumbly bass on movies, without bottoming out?

Sorry - typo - I meant rumbly bass.

As I said, it seems the woofers have low Qts, ie, rely on the box for mechanical damping to stop over-excursion. Take out of the box, they bottom out very quickly. Put it back in the box, and they go quite loud, and it's when when you push them way below port tuning that you get any nasties. All this makes me wonder - how come they can do the deep, rumbly bass on movies, without bottoming out?

not sure...mine doesnt go Terribly Deep,it does Rumble...but the rumbles arent too deep...at the Higher Frequencies its Very Loud but the Woofer is hardly Moving at all,go a little lower the woofer is moving a little more..and the port is like a Wind Storm...below 30 Hz the Woofer is moving alot but theres not wind from the port.

Sounds to me like they're tuned around 40 or 50Hz, so some things sound low, but they won't go all the way down...

I tuned my 2-way speakers to 40Hz and that means they can play things like kick drums pretty loud.

I noticed the same - put 30Hz through, there's not much output at all.

Sounds to me like they're tuned around 40 or 50Hz, so some things sound low, but they won't go all the way down...

I tuned my 2-way speakers to 40Hz and that means they can play things like kick drums pretty loud.

I noticed the same - put 30Hz through, there's not much output at all.

Yeah...it seems in Most Commercial Systems the Drivers and Amps arent the Problem...the Enclosure and crossovers seem to be alot of the problem.

I noticed that. It seems that it's difficult to make an amp so cheaply that it's rubbish beyond all reason, as long as they spend enough to get the power ratings right, they sound Ok.

This means cutbacks must be made elsewhere. Cables, speakers, connections, finishing of the actual case....

Must be said - not all the drivers are any good - Dad bought a £150 HTIB, never got used, so I nicked the satellites to put next to my PC screen, you know, for movies and stuff. They genuinely sound awful - no treble, no bass (I'd expect at least treble from a 2" driver) The lower midrange was lacking, ie, electric guitars, some drums, the upper harmonics of a bass guitar, lower vocals. Still, they're not bad for a 4"x3"x2" box (outer dimensions, HWD)

I noticed that. It seems that it's difficult to make an amp so cheaply that it's rubbish beyond all reason, as long as they spend enough to get the power ratings right, they sound Ok.

This means cutbacks must be made elsewhere. Cables, speakers, connections, finishing of the actual case....

Must be said - not all the drivers are any good - Dad bought a £150 HTIB, never got used, so I nicked the satellites to put next to my PC screen, you know, for movies and stuff. They genuinely sound awful - no treble, no bass (I'd expect at least treble from a 2" driver) The lower midrange was lacking, ie, electric guitars, some drums, the upper harmonics of a bass guitar, lower vocals. Still, they're not bad for a 4"x3"x2" box (outer dimensions, HWD)

Well in this Case the Driver in my Sony Sub is Not Bad....its uses the Typical Paper Cone...the Rubber Surround is good....i like it better than Foam,The Amp also isnt Bad...35 Watts isnt Quite Enough for a Real Home Theather though...but its Enough for Music and Gaming...and the amp doesnt Distort too much even when the Volume is max...i never noticed any...but theres likely to be just a little here and there....the Components are all good...but the Enclosure doent allow them to Work to their Full Potential.

alot of Commercial Home Theathers i see in stores like best buy use 6.5" or so Drivers in the Subs...perfectly fine if you dont Expect to Move the Earth...i think 8" would be a Better Size...

it seems the Need to Be Compact and Fancy Looking has Clashed with sound Quality,for Example those Bose Lifestyle Systems look Good enough...and they sound Not terrible...but i cant see myself Paying that much for one of those.

im not Really a Surround Sound Guy....most of the Audio Setup's ive had in my room were Two Channel,but thats Just Me.

i dont Prefer to Sacrifice Sound Quality for Size...if i did have a Surround Sound id have Surround Speaker and the Center Channel with a good 5 1/4 Midbass Driver and a Good Quality Dome Tweeter...i always notice larger Midbass drivers have a Fuller Sound than those Small Fullrange Drivers youll find in the Little Sattlites of a Common Surround Sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.