40 cubic ft need Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2009, 08:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 40 cubic ft need Help

I have 40 cubic ft to work in my van and would like to build a Folded horn for two 15 or 18 and play down to 20-30hz!

I was thinking of tweaking the jesen imperial to fit good idea or bad?

I want it to be heard and felt as far away as possible ! Pretty much a rolling horn and I'll be sitting in it! hehe
Old 14th December 2009, 04:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have a (now heavily modified - and driverless) Imperial. When it was freshly built I had ideas of putting it in a minivan and taking it to our local country fair spl competition just for fun. I was told in the forums that it wouldn't have enough room to "breathe" in a vehicle and it wouldn't work at all. Factor in the fact that it's deadly dangerous to drive like that unless it's bolted down and I didn't bother. I have no idea how it might have worked out. I do know that you can definitely design better than the Imperial with today's modelling software though, especially for a car. You need to factor in a bit of cabin gain.
Old 15th December 2009, 10:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

a tubaHT by billfitzmaurice might just be what you want, and also be total overkill for in a van.
Old 15th December 2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I want it to be heard and felt as far away as possible !
Please try not to give car audio a worse name than it already has...

Check out the Decware Wicked One, a scaled-up version would be interesting.
Old 15th December 2009, 07:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the quick responses, I just want to be heard kms away!! Also I was wondering what kind of horns could I use for my midrange was thinking of making my dash into two semi big horns. Pretty much want to use horns for everything!
Old 16th December 2009, 04:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=Glowbug;2013967]Please try not to give car audio a worse name than it already has...

I am offended! lol!
Old 18th December 2009, 02:32 AM   #7
JimJ is offline JimJ  United States
diyAudio Member

I have no issues with SPL competitions, showing off a loud stereo to an audience...but out in public, your stereo should be for yourself, and nobody else
Old 18th December 2009, 03:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyman View Post
I have 40 cubic ft to work in my van and would like to build a Folded horn for two 15 or 18 and play down to 20-30hz!

I was thinking of tweaking the jesen imperial to fit good idea or bad?

I want it to be heard and felt as far away as possible ! Pretty much a rolling horn and I'll be sitting in it! hehe
If I'm not mistaken, I've built more horns for automotive use than almost anyone. If there's someone else out there doing it to the same extent, I am not aware of it.

I personally would not recommend one big horn for a car. The reason why is that the horn will behave like a sealed box below the cutoff. So all the gain will be in the midbass, not the bass.

The better option, imho, is to use an array of small horns. The autotuba measures very nice. I've also published two tapped horn designs for the car. One is called the Triple8, the other one is documented in a thread named "the smallest tapped horn."

(google it, I'm lazy )

Anyways, a few big amps and a quad of triple8s will do plenty of damage. Thats about 12cf.

Hide this!Advertise here!