40 cubic ft need Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 40 cubic ft to work in my van and would like to build a Folded horn for two 15 or 18 and play down to 20-30hz!

I was thinking of tweaking the jesen imperial to fit good idea or bad?

I want it to be heard and felt as far away as possible ! Pretty much a rolling horn and I'll be sitting in it! hehe

I have a (now heavily modified - and driverless) Imperial. When it was freshly built I had ideas of putting it in a minivan and taking it to our local country fair spl competition just for fun. I was told in the forums that it wouldn't have enough room to "breathe" in a vehicle and it wouldn't work at all. Factor in the fact that it's deadly dangerous to drive like that unless it's bolted down and I didn't bother. I have no idea how it might have worked out. I do know that you can definitely design better than the Imperial with today's modelling software though, especially for a car. You need to factor in a bit of cabin gain.

I have 40 cubic ft to work in my van and would like to build a Folded horn for two 15 or 18 and play down to 20-30hz!

I was thinking of tweaking the jesen imperial to fit good idea or bad?

I want it to be heard and felt as far away as possible ! Pretty much a rolling horn and I'll be sitting in it! hehe

If I'm not mistaken, I've built more horns for automotive use than almost anyone. If there's someone else out there doing it to the same extent, I am not aware of it.

I personally would not recommend one big horn for a car. The reason why is that the horn will behave like a sealed box below the cutoff. So all the gain will be in the midbass, not the bass.

The better option, imho, is to use an array of small horns. The autotuba measures very nice. I've also published two tapped horn designs for the car. One is called the Triple8, the other one is documented in a thread named "the smallest tapped horn."

(google it, I'm lazy ;) )

Anyways, a few big amps and a quad of triple8s will do plenty of damage. Thats about 12cf.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.