Sub Plate Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yo

I'm after buying a plate amp for a sub I'm going to build.

My room is pretty small and I plan on using it to drive a 10-12" sub. I don't listen to music particularly loudly because my Mrs is "sensitive" to loud volumes :no:

I'm in the UK - who sells fairly cheap plate amps over here? I could get one from parts express but the carriage is the same price as the amp!

Looking at about 50w - is that ridiculously low? What wattage would you guys use for a room about 3mx4m?

Thanks

Chris

Have you considered NOT using a plate amp? IMHO those things are horribly overrated, especially if you have to locate it far away from your system since the line level signal will pick up a lot of hum. I'm actually rebuilding my plate amp now so that it will sit on my rack. Why don't you go buy an old 100W/ch stereo amp at a thrift store and use that?

If I use a 100W/channel amp I will have to build a seperate crossover/filter. A lot of plate amps seem to have a variable cut-off
What do you guys do in terms of a crossover for the sub?

Oh, if you're system is stereo, then yes a plate amp is a very handy all-in-one solution. For an HT system, I just use the crossover in the surround receiver.

There are standalone sub crossovers out there, like this one: Creative Sound - Product Details and:
Creative Sound - Product Details

Anyway, my point was that I hate plate amps, and so if you are only looking at plate amps and these have an inflated landed price in the UK, then look outside the box to see what's available locally.

EDIT: Sorry, wrong product links: http://creativesound.ca/details.php?model=F-1

Last edited:
If I use a 100W/channel amp I will have to build a seperate crossover/filter. A lot of plate amps seem to have a variable cut-off

What do you guys do in terms of a crossover for the sub?

I think you will find a separate crossover a significantly more satisfactory solution than the variable frequency low pass filter built into the plate amp.

I snagged a used one off eBay for about $50 US a while back. Another solution is one of Rod Elliott's kits.

Honestly, I didn't use a crossover when I built my first sub. I can't remember what they are called, but I got these coils, they look like a 5 inch wide inductor, that block all but the bass. They were very cheap and easy to install.

Said coils are indeed inductors. By installing them in series you form a first order lowpass filter. The trouble with doing it this way is that the slope of the rolloff is very shallow, so the sub will still be playing a significant amount of non-bass content.

The other problem is that to start the rolloff at, say, 100hz, you need quite a large inductor, something on the order of 13mH. High quality inductors of this size are quite expensive.

At the end of the day, it's a solution which can work, but is far from optimal.

Just putting this out there for any future new fella's who think they don't need a crossover - the series inductor is a crossover, just not a very good one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.