volvotreter eminence horn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2009, 02:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to radman12
Default volvotreter eminence horn

is the volvotreter eminence horn comparable to a danley dts 20? does the mouth fire towards the wall or towards the listenere position.
Old 8th December 2009, 04:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Mouth orientation doesn't matter at subwoofer frequencies, provided the mouth is unobstructed.
Old 9th December 2009, 10:24 AM   #3
MaVo is offline MaVo  Germany
diyAudio Member

Similar size and frequency response, so i would say yes. However, one is designed by THE professional and the other one by a amateur (like we all are), so i would guess the devil could hide in the details.
Old 9th December 2009, 07:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

has anyone actually built one on here before? i cant find any reviews anywhere. how much power should be sent to the sub?

my plan is to lay two of them horizontal behind my AT screen. if i stack them horizontally with the mouths at opposite ends with i have any cancelation or anything crazy like that.
Old 9th December 2009, 11:35 PM   #5
MaVo is offline MaVo  Germany
diyAudio Member

well... this might be a far fetch... but i think volvotreter has build one
Old 10th December 2009, 11:11 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaVo View Post
well... this might be a far fetch... but i think volvotreter has build one

I've built William Cowan's 30Hz TH using an eminence driver, and it does sound good and provides me with plenty of SPL.

As you are in the US, it would be worth looking at the DTS 10 kit which uses 2 lab 12 drivers.
Old 11th December 2009, 01:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

the dts-10 is too much money for diy. if they gave the actual dimensions of the box and all the measurements i will build it from scratch, but unfortunately i dont think they will release those.

would two of those horns put out some incredible spl? how many watts should be applied to them.
Old 12th December 2009, 04:33 AM   #8
FlipC is offline FlipC  United States
diyAudio Member

At SUB $1k the kit isn't that bad per say.
And Mike - the drivers it was designed for are not over the shelf Lab 12's but yet another incarnation of them built for DSL.
Old 12th December 2009, 05:09 AM   #9
Bluto is offline Bluto  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmmmm ......

' provided there is no obstruction'. I've pondered this too often. Bass is supposedly non directional and also supposedly if we have a good sub we shouldn't be able to know it's placement. But then we have the arguments for using 2 subs to deal with cancellation issues. And the list of arguments goes on and on. Musical vs. HT , blah, blah.

Question is how much obstruction is too much? What is obstruction? Your big screen TV sitting 6" to the side of the sub? Your Audio rack on the other side? Your wall behind sub because sub sticks out into the room unless you have it only 6" from wall?

I'm finally getting to the point I'll have to build some subs and there are so many designs and issues to face. Seems to me front firing eliminates obstruction issue altogether without factoring a million Physics questions .

More and more 'less is more' impresses me. I'm not numbers/graphs literate but I've seen guys who are use cheap drivers and claim incredible sound. Bill Fitzmaurice designs impress me if I had the space. 20 buck MCM's.

4 Acoustic Elegance 15"ers for $400!!?? in Infinite Baffle? Seems tough to beat to me.

There's a ton of low buck examples out there. You can always sell a $100 'experiment' and get your money back.
Old 13th December 2009, 04:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Hmmmm ......

' provided there is no obstruction'. I've pondered this too often. Bass is supposedly non directional and also supposedly if we have a good sub we shouldn't be able to know it's placement.
Generally yes. Like anything with psychoacoustics however, there are plenty of gotchas. For example, while your subwoofer may be crossed at 80hz, where in theory it should not be localizable, it may generate audible harmonics from distortion in the octaves above the crossover, becoming localizable again.

Quote:
But then we have the arguments for using 2 subs to deal with cancellation issues.
These cancellation schemes work because they're based on the subwoofers position in relation to the room's standing waves. In the region between simple room gain (the 0 order mode) and the frequency where modes become too dense to distinguish discretely, the wavelengths are of size roughly comparable to the room. Since the subwoofers distance to various walls (or to other subwoofers in a multi-sub system) is on the same scale, you get interference of various sorts. The harmon papers are a great way to get an intuition about this. But after reading those, take Dr. Geddes advise in mind and realize that for non-ideal rooms a more statistical approach is how best to think of it.

Quote:
Question is how much obstruction is too much?
I think a good rule of thumb is you want the path to open space to have surface area comparable to the driver + ports. Ideally a few times more than that just to eliminate any possible restriction.

Quote:
Seems to me front firing eliminates obstruction issue altogether without factoring a million Physics questions .
Yup. There's little acoustic reason to build down firing subs (excepting designs that intend to use restriction to affect the system resonance, like the ripole).

From everything I've seen Bill F. is a very savvy designer. Provided you can live with the size of those horn subs it will be very hard to beat their value. The MCM driver is quite the steal for front loaded horns. There have been some fun designs for it posted here as well. I've gone one I'm trying to figure out a good folding for.

Hide this!Advertise here!