Sealed 15 to Compliment Sachikos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys,

I've been wandering the forums for a couple of weeks now trying to decide on a subwoofer design and plan that satisfies what I want. Some months ago I built a pair of Sachikos and really love them. I'm inexperienced when it comes to speaker quality, having not listened to many different kinds of speakers before. However, the quality of the Sachikos is just great. If only some of my buddies appreciated it as much as I do...

Now I want to add a subwoofer and have mostly decided on a sealed 15" using the Dayton DVC driver. In the future I would love to build the Tuba HT and would like to reuse the driver at that time.

What I want is something that fits the Sachiko's audible qualities and is not huge (yeah, I know what you're thinking). One set of huge speakers is enough right now. I plan to use it mostly for home theater and some music types (I listen to almost all genres). If you have other suggestions I would like to hear them.

Thanks, and I hope this thread can help someone else out as well.

Gus

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you follow Geddes or Toole, they recommend at least 2 woofers. Careful placement can actively cancel room modes.

As well, one would guess, that 2 woofers would likely be 2x12 or 2x10 instead of 1x15. The smaller drivers should reach up higher which is a good thing when trying to integrate with a FR.

My next woofer project is a pair of push-push 8"

dave

So after a few months of contemplation, I am now considering a push-push design using 2 Dayton 12" woofers instead of the single sealed 15. Below is the URL for the driver in mind:

Parts-Express.com:Dayton SD315-88 12" Shielded DVC Subwoofer | subwoofer sd315-88 12" subwoofer dvc dual voice coil dayton subwoofer dayton dvc dayton 12" woofer daytonDVC030209 Upto15PerOffDASubs

I chose it because of the high extension to integrate better with my FR's and the relatively cheap cost. I plan to use the sub for music (that needs it), but mostly HT.
My questions are:

1. Will this design fit well sonically with my Sachiko cabinets (tight and clean), or what might be better? I have somewhat limited space and the sub will be in a long, fairly narrow room with normal ceilings.

2. Is there a better driver for this setup that fits in my price range (<$80 apiece).

3. When designing the cabinet, do I just double the volume compared to a single sealed cab for the same driver? Also, does a square or perhaps slightly taller cab work as well as anything else?

I'm planning on the wiring the DVC of the above driver as such (top image):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I want to do this right, of course, so I do appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.