Good concept? HT FLH for Tang Band or MCM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to try a big horn for my Tang Band W6-1139SI so I got to work with Hornresp. I found no advantage to a tapped horn when they get this big (240 L) so I went with FLH. I wanted to make sure that this horn would work with my measured t/s parameters as well as the factory specs in case I need to replace it one day and newer drivers are closer to spec. I also wanted it to work with the popular MCM 8 inch, since these 2 drivers tend to like somewhat similar enclosures.

What I came up with is a FLH that will work with all 3 - the tang band factory specs, my measured specs and the 8 inch MCM factory specs by simply adjusting the back chamber volume. The horn is shown below, corner loaded with 100 watts, with my measured W6 specs with the back chamber access panel off (infinite). Closing the back chamber (28 L) provides a more undamped response if required, and further filling in the back chamber (16 L) makes the horn work better with the factory tang band or mcm specs.

For music, with a rumble filter, it will handle 100 watts as shown, but for HT without a rumble filter it would have to be turned down a bit. At least 2 - maybe minimum 4 - would be required for HT.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Folding this will not be easy and will require edits to make it rectanglular and retain the flat(ish) response. Before I go to the effort I'd like to get some opinions on this design.

Actually, I have been kicking around the same idea for a while.

If I had the time (yeah, like I am any different than anyone else here...) I have a pair of designs I'd like to build and compare. One is a tapped horn with two MCM's. The response simulated pretty bumpy, but the Danley SPUD and DTS10 are not exactly flat. The other is a FLH loaded with a pair of MCM's sort of based on jbell's recent successes with these, but much longer and tuned lower.

For the same volume box, I can get the TH almost 1/2 octave lower, but the FLH just kills the TH once you're an octave up from the response corner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.