CSS Trio8 Recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
More gain BW beginning below the driver's mass corner (~2*Fs/Qts) down to Fp where it will unload same as vented, but how much more will be dependent on the XO point/slope due the pipe's HF 'ripple' if not well damped. Of course if there's enough room gain to offset the vented alignment's unloading, then it's moot, otherwise some form of EQ may be required to protect the driver against excessive excursion.

GM

More gain BW beginning below the driver's mass corner (~2*Fs/Qts) down to Fp where it will unload same as vented, but how much more will be dependent on the XO point/slope due the pipe's HF 'ripple' if not well damped. Of course if there's enough room gain to offset the vented alignment's unloading, then it's moot, otherwise some form of EQ may be required to protect the driver against excessive excursion.

GM
How big physically would a TL like that be?

About the same as your 30 L alignment plus a low mach vent plus the wood to fold it up inside the cab = ~48 L:

GM

Attachments

• CSS TRIO 8 Fp = Fs TQWT.gif
    CSS TRIO 8 Fp = Fs TQWT.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 201
I never got around to reverse engineering it.

I some how think you don't need to reverse engineer it. The design is not all that tough and I know your no slouch at figuring out horn designs. Your tapered pipe idea is pretty close to the same concept. Most optimal designs for drivers end up being quite close to the same size box when Fs and efficiency are taken as baselines. We end up dealing with the same motor structures and moving mass. The only real different systems are front loaded horns that truly push the efficiency levels up. But that's at the expense of box complexity and of a lot bigger box to.

Mark

Hi GM,

The Hornresp impulse response for the TQWT in Post #26 looks a bit erratic. I wonder what kind of a sonic signature would result from that?

Regards,

Greets!

AFAIK, any un-damped resonant system of acoustically small proportions has an erratic transient response ('hollow' sounding 'signature') and why at least a modicum of damping is required.

GM

I some how think you don't need to reverse engineer it.

Most optimal designs for drivers end up being quite close to the same size box when Fs and efficiency are taken as baselines.

The only real different systems are front loaded horns.........

Well, as you indicate, I would have had to at least figure out its net Vb, but lost interest in car audio decades ago and don't have any use for a high F3 'sub', so didn't even do that much. Its shape tells me it my idea of an optimized BP though, so thanks for sharing!

Yeah, there's only so much acoustic efficiency for a given bulk and the driver can only be 'squeezed' so much before it grenades. Nothing like a high CR mid-horn's blistering hot VC being spit out at you to spoil the music. :(

GM

Greets!

AFAIK, any un-damped resonant system of acoustically small proportions has an erratic transient response ('hollow' sounding 'signature') and why at least a modicum of damping is required.

GM

Hi GM,

Well said,:) Both an OD TL or a T-TQWT: System Phase/GLDY and the actual impulse response, looks very different and bad in comparison to a TH or Horn simulated in HR.

The pre-ringing 'time smear' that is seen is almost completely gone if a stuffed T-TQWT or a OD-TL is measured in the reality and will only be seen in simulations with sophisticated programs like MJK: s.
See the picture and compare:

b

Attachments

• HR-OD-imulsresp-verus-actual-MJK-offsetTL.JPG
    HR-OD-imulsresp-verus-actual-MJK-offsetTL.JPG
    477.1 KB · Views: 250
Well, as you indicate, I would have had to at least figure out its net Vb, but lost interest in car audio decades ago and don't have any use for a high F3 'sub', so didn't even do that much. Its shape tells me it my idea of an optimized BP though, so thanks for sharing!

Yeah, there's only so much acoustic efficiency for a given bulk and the driver can only be 'squeezed' so much before it grenades. Nothing like a high CR mid-horn's blistering hot VC being spit out at you to spoil the music.

GM

Hi Greg and gents

The second box using the TRIO8 drivers referenced in the tapped horn for car thread works very well indoors. One fellow has built two of them. And is happily listening now for quite a while. I listened at length indoors as well. No problem integrating into a room. Quite a bit different from car subs that usually sound like garbage when used inside. A comparison box using the same drivers in a vented enclosure is almost finished. Might be interesting to listen to them side by each.

If the weather finally warms up and the ground dries up I can do some ground plane measurements and therefore a real comparison.

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.