CSS Trio8 Recommendations - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2010, 02:56 PM   #31
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
Hi GM,

The Hornresp impulse response for the TQWT in Post #26 looks a bit erratic. I wonder what kind of a sonic signature would result from that?

Regards,
Greets!

AFAIK, any un-damped resonant system of acoustically small proportions has an erratic transient response ('hollow' sounding 'signature') and why at least a modicum of damping is required.

GM
Old 16th March 2010, 03:15 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
I some how think you don't need to reverse engineer it.

Most optimal designs for drivers end up being quite close to the same size box when Fs and efficiency are taken as baselines.

The only real different systems are front loaded horns.........
Well, as you indicate, I would have had to at least figure out its net Vb, but lost interest in car audio decades ago and don't have any use for a high F3 'sub', so didn't even do that much. Its shape tells me it my idea of an optimized BP though, so thanks for sharing!

Yeah, there's only so much acoustic efficiency for a given bulk and the driver can only be 'squeezed' so much before it grenades. Nothing like a high CR mid-horn's blistering hot VC being spit out at you to spoil the music.

GM
Old 16th March 2010, 03:30 PM   #33
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Greets!

AFAIK, any un-damped resonant system of acoustically small proportions has an erratic transient response ('hollow' sounding 'signature') and why at least a modicum of damping is required.

GM
Hi GM,

Well said, Both an OD TL or a T-TQWT: System Phase/GLDY and the actual impulse response, looks very different and bad in comparison to a TH or Horn simulated in HR.

The pre-ringing 'time smear' that is seen is almost completely gone if a stuffed T-TQWT or a OD-TL is measured in the reality and will only be seen in simulations with sophisticated programs like MJK: s.
See the picture and compare:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HR-OD-imulsresp-verus-actual-MJK-offsetTL.JPG (477.1 KB, 205 views)
Old 16th March 2010, 05:08 PM   #34
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Stuffing

Hi GM and bjorno,

I agree, that stuffing will help. Have you done any work on simulating stuffing in AkAbak, particularly as it applies to TQWTs and tapped horns?

Regards,
Old 17th March 2010, 01:18 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Nope, haven't taken the time to learn it yet.

GM
Old 21st March 2010, 12:34 AM   #36
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well, as you indicate, I would have had to at least figure out its net Vb, but lost interest in car audio decades ago and don't have any use for a high F3 'sub', so didn't even do that much. Its shape tells me it my idea of an optimized BP though, so thanks for sharing!

Yeah, there's only so much acoustic efficiency for a given bulk and the driver can only be 'squeezed' so much before it grenades. Nothing like a high CR mid-horn's blistering hot VC being spit out at you to spoil the music.

GM
Hi Greg and gents

The second box using the TRIO8 drivers referenced in the tapped horn for car thread works very well indoors. One fellow has built two of them. And is happily listening now for quite a while. I listened at length indoors as well. No problem integrating into a room. Quite a bit different from car subs that usually sound like garbage when used inside. A comparison box using the same drivers in a vented enclosure is almost finished. Might be interesting to listen to them side by each.

If the weather finally warms up and the ground dries up I can do some ground plane measurements and therefore a real comparison.

Mark

Hide this!Advertise here!