Peerless 830500 (sub)woofer - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2009, 06:15 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davygrvy View Post
Maybe 3' long sonotubes that are closed with one end having a port on it. They would also work as side wall diffusers, too, when hung on the wall.
A 14" diameter sonotube that's 3' tall for a port tuning of 50Hz would require a 5" diameter tube, 3.5" long. The inside will need some dampening.
Old 9th December 2009, 01:03 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Hi, I think I'll try that, too. Thanks!
Old 9th December 2009, 11:08 PM   #23
Norcad is offline Norcad  Norway
diyAudio Member

The Peerless XLS12 has been my friend for many years
Well, two of them and the oldest is four years old to be exactly.

I started with the passive solution, and the most important experience is that you need TWO passive radiators.

After a year or so, I build an closed enclosure instead, and I have never looked back! They play music much better this way. Why I dont know for sure. Maybe its the group delay?

As I said; I use two of them, in 45L boxes and driven by two Hypex DS4.0 subamps. This amps has a one band eq and +6dB is what it takes to make it play flat.

And with four of these you could really play LOAD!

Here you can see some measurements I have done in my home cinema.
The first is one 830500 + 2x 830548 (425gr each) in a 49L box
The second is one 830500 in 45L closed box
And the third is the same as no two, with +6dB "bassboost"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XLS12slave.jpg (25.9 KB, 469 views)
File Type: jpg XLS12lukket.jpg (26.2 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg XLS12lukketeq.jpg (26.3 KB, 460 views)
Old 10th December 2009, 12:15 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Norcad - if you read back through the thread, you will see that the problem is that the 830547, 830548 and 830549 XLS passives have all been discontinued
Old 10th December 2009, 03:30 PM   #25
Norcad is offline Norcad  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokewithlime View Post
Norcad - if you read back through the thread, you will see that the problem is that the 830547, 830548 and 830549 XLS passives have all been discontinued
And if you read my reply, you will see that I dont recommend them either
The XLS - 830500 is also discontinued, but still that is what this thread is about isnt it?

Im sorry for my bad english, but my point is that there are no reason to seek the world for some used passive radiators, the 830500 do (IMO) a better job alone. With four of them, the issue about eq and excursion limits doesnt exist.

I have tested the XLS 12 in four different boxes; with one passive radiator, with two passive radiators, in a BR, and closed.

And there is a reason why I now have two of them, and that they both is in a closed box.

Im sure that filipemacedo will be pleased with the result if he use them in 35L closed per driver. IF the xo point isnt to high, and some sort of eq is used in the bottom octave. BR kind of make up for the eq, but will (IMO) lack some SQ with music.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:03 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hi Norcad, thanks for your posts!

I will buy the 830500s (I still can buy them in Europe), but not the PRs. As I said before, I'll do some experimenting, including closed and vented, and then post the results. The x-over point is around 85Hz, and I will have to use some EQ (maybe LT).

This may take several weeks, but I plan to do it as soon as I can!

See you soon!
Old 2nd January 2010, 08:23 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcad View Post
I have tested the XLS 12 in four different boxes; with one passive radiator, with two passive radiators, in a BR, and closed.

And there is a reason why I now have two of them, and that they both is in a closed box.

Im sure that filipemacedo will be pleased with the result if he use them in 35L closed per driver. IF the xo point isnt to high, and some sort of eq is used in the bottom octave. BR kind of make up for the eq, but will (IMO) lack some SQ with music.

And what amplifier is better to use in the closed box with XLS 12?
Old 3rd January 2010, 08:18 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Whether power of amplifier Reckhorn A-403 (Reckhorn.com) for XLS 12 in the closed box will suffice? At 8 Om-180 Watt. Can eat something similar, but it is more on power.
Old 3rd January 2010, 07:21 PM   #29
Baldin is offline Baldin  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Baldin
Hi filipemacedo

I'm using the XLS in my stereo set-up as well but as an additional sub.
It's a great woofer, but it does need lots of juice if mounted in a closed box, which I also think is best suited for this woofer.
I use 400 W with mine and a LT. You donīt need to tune it lower than 25 Hz ... that will be enough to pay 99.9 % of all available material ....
Take a look here: SubZero, a Peerless 12 inch XLS based subwoofer

As you also have found out, doing something to the room is essential ... and I really mean essential to get good bass.

I made my sup with a parametric EQ, to treat the most significant room mode, but I have found that this solution is no match for a propor passive room treatment (despite what all commercials will tell you about electronic or digital room eq).
Take a look here: Building a Home Theater and Listening Room

But would I go for 2 XLS'es for my front speakers? ..... not so sure .... I actually think I prefer vented speakers .... and the XLS is not suited for a vented design at all ......
Think I would actually go for a 60 l/24Hz vented design with dayton RSS 265 HF 4 .... only problem, it's a 4 ohm speaker .... but then again the XLS is more 5-6 ohm than 8!
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:40 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone,
Here I am again, but not with good news... The fact is that I couldn't get the 830500s because they have been discontinued and my supplier ran out of stock. Now it is OEM only with minimum qty of 250 units...
I have the option for 4x 835017, 12’’ XXLS Alu-cone subwoofer, which I think is also a good sub, but needs a little more “space”! I think I’ll use one for each main speaker, and two additional subs, placed along the opposite wall.
And yes, I found the room-treatment stuff quite interesting, along with the links Baldin referred, but I haven’t done anything yet. Life is hard…
Any suggestions regarding the 835017?
I promise I’ll post the results and simulations soon, as long as I don’t change my mind…

Hide this!Advertise here!