TubaHT Building Material Suggestion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please do not use MDF. MDF is crap. Its strength to weight ratio is absurdly low. The best plywood to use is without a doubt the furniture/cabinet grade Baltic Birch. That's not the cheap 'grade C' birch from China that you might find easily. BB is very dense, is not warped and cuts beautifully. It's hard to find, though. Your local Loewe's or Home Depot do not carry it. And please, do not cut the braces shorter than what is listed in the plans. Also, when setting your braces... DO NOT use brads to secure them to the panels. Use screws for those, along with the poly glue. Brads will work at first just fine, but will loosen over time and the cab will develop an awful rattle at resonance later on that is probably going to be impossible to repair.

You are constructing the cabinet yourself. Do not get cheap on the plywood as it directly effects all your hard work.

Last edited:
what do you guys use for test cabs btw, looking for something cheap that's not too crappy.

birch is so damn expensive around here.

Good birch plywood is expensive everywhere.

For testing and builds that are not visible, I use high quality OSB. It is far better than the cheap plywood I can get around here, and it is less than $20 a sheet for 3/4" X 4 X 8. It is also nicer on the lungs than MDF, it smells like wood when you cut it. Hurricane nuts tent to spin out in OSB, the old-style spiky tee-nuts work much better. I make my baffles out of MDF which eliminates the problem completely, and provides a smooth, void-free mounting surface.

Finally, if the build does not work out, OSB burns a lot better than MDF. :D

Last edited:
burning_stack.jpg

i'll try the osb then, like to burn some stuff now and then. these where guitarcabs that didn't work out with a rabbitcage on top :)
just after this pic, the bottom cab collapsed.

Lads, forget all the nonsense. Band roadies prefer BB because it´s tougher and lighter, but they don´t have to lug subwoomphers around. If you cut off below 100Hz, which you wnt to do anyway, the only issue is weight - and you want that anyway. Making them look nice can be a problem with roughest particle board or (if you can get it) OSB, but build them really stiff and you´re OK.

Yea, that Arauco plywood does not seem too bad. I looked at it the other day when I was at Home Depot.

My horn sub built out of 1/2" MDF (table tuba) is almost unmanageably heavy for one person to handle :(. Never again will I build horns out of MDF.

If you build a Tuba HT out of MDF (about 3 times bigger), you will definitely have something seriously unwieldy.

My horn sub built out of 1/2" MDF (table tuba) is almost unmanageably heavy for one person to handle :(. Never again will I build horns out of MDF.

If you build a Tuba HT out of MDF (about 3 times bigger), you will definitely have something seriously unwieldy.

Yes, but I am strong like bull!

j/k Im currently trying to locate BB in my area, but seems as though most of my local lumber yards have no idea what I'm talking about lol.

Try furniture or cabinet builders and ask where they get it. They know about this stuff. Or tell the lumber yard folks you are looking for highly dense plywood, grade B-B or better. Zero voids is what you're looking for. It doesn't have to be marine grade, but that is quite good as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.