Looking for stand-alone amp to drive subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys

I'm looking for an amp to drive a Shiva-X subwoofer (65l sealed). Searched high and low but couldn't find a model meeting my requirements:

- 250W@4Ohm minimum
- adjustable gain
- fanless
- balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) inputs
- 115V@60Hz/230V@50Hz compatible
- rack-mountable
- 1RU

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Best, Markus

Closest I can't find is an ART SLA2. It isn't fanless, but the spec does say "Stable into 4 Ohms" for bridge mono operation.

4 Ohm operation with just natural convection cooled (no fan at all) is a sizable heatsink. I got one here for Class A/B amp design of my own and it weighs probably four pounds. Actually, it is 3.5 inches of this extrusion.

A different class of amplification such as H or D ought to get the heat issue out of the way, thus the size, so 1 RU is possible. The 1 RU spec is really pushing it. Have you considered a plate amp built into the cabinet?

TOA electronics makes 2 and 4 channel class D amps that will do 250W at 4 ohms and fit in a single space - I'm not sure whether or not they have fans or balanced inputs though (and they are not exactly cheap). I think I have seen some others like that, but can't remember where.

- Doug

richie00boy, don't feel comfortable with buying used amps from a company that is out of business.

Doug, they too have fans and are pretty pricey at $800...

I was always under the impression that there are tons of amps out there for each and every need - far from it.

Best, Markus

I'm currently putting together a dual 2x250 amp form these guys: Class D Audio Home page

That's 4 channels for ~$325, including power supply - however, I also spent about ~$150 for an enclosure + connectors). No fan required, but they do require 2U height because of the power transformer. One of their amps has balanced inputs. I'd be happy to let you know how it works when I get it up and running.

- Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.