2 Drivers to enhance low freequencies?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a question about multiple drivers and producing low freequencies.

Lets say I have 1 Driver that has an effective range of 60hz - 300hz. at 60hz it plays -3db. If I took a 2nd driver of the same type and set a 2nd order low pass filter at 50 hz its natural roll off would be -3db at around 60hz. So if I allowed driver 1 to just play with no hpf on it, and add a 2nd driver with a lpf of 50hz would that allow the sound to go down to around 40hz at -3db? Or would it not work that well?

The reason I want to go this rout is for space, and making it all look hidden. I think I will just try it and see. I really am curious about learning how to get it all to work. Is there anything I should keep in mind when looking at the 2nd order x-over to avoid frequency cancellation?

Also, if I take 2 full range speakers (L & R) can I take the outputs from the LPF of both, and play both into the 1 bass speaker, or would I need some diods to keep the 2 outputs from conflicting?

I'm designing to build a very small sound bar. Thats why its all small stuff.

Yes sound bar under TV. Its a 50 inch. So a speaker on the far left one in the center and one on the far right. I know they aren't "far enough apart for seperation" but I've had speakers set right to the sides of it, and its good enough for my bedroom. Or are you saying I should maybe just do a stereo... I mean if I'm not going to gain anything from buying a center speaker I may as well save my money.

I am really a noob, I'm not sure what you are saying about summer... etc. My plan was take the signal from my amp into a passive x-overs. Take the FL X-over LPF feed into the Low Driver and the X-Over from the FR LPF into that same spaker. No seperate amp... Just didn't know if that was possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.