Compact Subwoofer (I use subwoofer lightly)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a very tight space, I don't need to rattle the room, but I want the nice low end rumble to be audible down to around 40 or 50 hz. I found some peerless speakers that say the freequency response is 20-5000 hz. But the Fs on them is 77hz. Would those work for reproducing low end freequencies down to like 40 hz?? the Fs worries me. I could set a x-over below that point if it helps...

8'' High Excursion Woofer | MCM Audio Select | 55-2421 (552421)
NHT drivers and electronics surplus sale

Not knowing your ambitions on this..... here's a simple and cheap option.

Make a sealed box of about whatever dimensions you have available to you around 1 cubic foot and stuff it with polyfill. (I would personally not down fire this sub, but instead side or front fire)

The spectral tilt on the jack hidley amp will flatten response. Put it in a corner with the driver facing toward one of the walls, angle slightly out into the room.

Should be good and on the cheap for a small space.

Jack has good info on how to mod that amp if you need to tune it to your space.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you want really small, and have some budget, it is hard to beat a CSS SDX7 (with minimal mods) in a sealed box. I am currently enjoying a single in a 12" cube (we also stuffed a Foster/NHT plate amp into the box).

This driver will work in a box between 3.5 & 21 liters (i'd suggest 7 litre min), we usually target 14 or a bit bigger.

dave

I've got an sdx7 and it's amazing! I was just now doing a/b comparisons w/ one of those in a 10" cube I built )w/ a foster plate amp on the back), with a 12" boston acoustics I purchased.
There's almost no difference in tone. the 12" does go a little lower.. The rumbly decay on some low bass plucks stands out just a hair more, but overall the tiny sdx sounds better. And for only 6.5", it's truly amazing.

I should add that they cost about the same, even with the super inexpensive foster plate amp in the one I built. And that does NOT include my labor in building the little sub.

It has me wanting to build a big sub w/ an sdx15 or something.. maybe some day...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.