38 hz tapped horn, volvotreter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am about to build my first diy 38hz tapped horn following volvotreters plans. a couple of questions:

1. should the mouth fire at the wall or away from the wall?
2. what exactly does the inductor do and how do i install it and where do i install it? from what I gather i need this piece:

Erse Super Q 4.7mH 16 AWG 500W Inductor, 0.231 Ohm DCR
Parts Express Part #266-924

3. can this be run off the channels of a typical home receiver since it doesnt need many watts?

thanks for any help that can be provided.

Todd

1) Away from the wall
2) The inductor smooths out the freq response. I think it should be wired in series, that piece you quoted looks ideal.
3) Yep, you should have no problem running it from a spare amp channel, the tang band should not need (or be used with) a lot of power.

Well, it depends on what you are doing.

If I recall, the design uses a single woofer and a single inductor. How many are you building?

Honestly, I'd consider just leaving the inductor out, as the actual response will be more colored by the room. A few dB of deviation within the passband of the tapped horn will likely be dwarfed by room effects.

if i face the mouth towards the wall do get more bass output/response? i will just scratch the inductor idea then.

If you corner load the tapped horn you will gain some sensitivity, but it will not go lower in frequency like a normal front loaded horn.

Don't be too quick to throw out the inductor. You should try it both ways before you decide. In 3 of the 8 tapped horns I've build, I like the response better with the inductor.

when you say sensitivity does that mean louder? also does the inductor come with instructions becuase i dont really understand how you wire that in or where i mount it inside the enclosure.

the inductor will not come with instructions,:spin: but according to one of the posts above, you will need to wire it in series, meaning that you will need to connect one wire (end) of the inductor to the + speaker terminal, and the other to the + connection cup or amp

amp +======mmmmm====+speaker

= is wire
m is inductor
+ are the terminals

hope that helps

I made a pair of these - I find they sound better with the inductor off.

Attachments

• sp1.jpg
    sp1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 514
  • sp2.jpg
    sp2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 489
  • sp3.jpg
    sp3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 485
  • sp4.jpg
    sp4.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 489
I'm thinking of building two of these but using a derivitive of an Adire Extremis. But I was also thinking instead of making two 38hz ones he also has a 30hz version but it doesn't go as high, but I want the low end extension of the 30hz version and the upper end of the 38hz version. Do you think it would work if I used one of each versionin my room being used together. Obviously I realize the output at the outer edges will be lower due to only one driver covering each end of the range but I imagine that is better then nothing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.