Modeling stacked horns in hornresp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ahoy. I'm trying to model a bunch of stacked Altec 816s in parallel. According to the HornResp wiki (diyAudio.com Wiki - projects by fanatics, for fanatics), this can be done, but it doesn't say how. I've tried going into the driver wizard and specifying "2P" drivers, but the curve looks like it's amplified a few db but the frequency response hasn't changed at all. Note that I've also tried a quick search of the forums.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Ahoy. I'm trying to model a bunch of stacked Altec 816s in parallel. According to the HornResp wiki (diyAudio.com Wiki - projects by fanatics, for fanatics), this can be done, but it doesn't say how. I've tried going into the driver wizard and specifying "2P" drivers, but the curve looks like it's amplified a few db but the frequency response hasn't changed at all. Note that I've also tried a quick search of the forums.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Hi letsbangout,

After calculating the SPL response for a single speaker, select 'Multiple Speakers...' from the Tools menu.

Note that for multiple-segment horns Hornresp Version 23.50 or later is required.

Kind regards,

David

Thanks David.

Do you have any plans to make hornresp more network-aware? Whereas "network" is one or more tuned circuits which comprise the array of drivers in the horn. Specifically, I'm a bit curious how some of my designs would look when run from multiple amps, versus paralleling up a bunch of drivers.

Cheating indeed. Maybe David can comment on this?

Hi letsbangout,

As far as Hornresp is concerned, two single-segment horn loudspeakers connected in parallel radiating into 4 pi space will produce the same SPL response as one speaker with the same Eg radiating into 2 pi space, provided that Rg = 0. This "mirror" principle can of course be extended as required.

Kind regards,

David

Hi letsbangout,

As far as Hornresp is concerned, two single-segment horn loudspeakers connected in parallel radiating into 4 pi space will produce the same SPL response as one speaker with the same Eg radiating into 2 pi space, provided that Rg = 0. This "mirror" principle can of course be extended as required.

Kind regards,

David

I'm not sure I follow what you mean about the same SPL. My understanding is that drivers in parallel will half the inductance, thus a broader Q. It also shifts the entire usable frequency spectrum downward.

Are you saying that hornresp does not take this into account?

My understanding is that drivers in parallel will half the inductance. Are you saying that hornresp does not take this into account?

Hi letsbangout,

Hornresp halves the voice coil inductance for two drivers connected in parallel, and doubles value for two drivers connected in series.

The general formula used is:

Le' = Le * NumSeriesDrivers / NumParallelDrivers

The other driver parameters are adjusted as follows:

Sd' = Sd * NumSeriesDrivers * NumParallelDrivers
Cms' = Cms / (NumSeriesDrivers * NumParallelDrivers)
Mmd' = Mmd * NumSeriesDrivers * NumParallelDrivers
Re' = Re * NumSeriesDrivers / NumParallelDrivers
Bl' = Bl * NumSeriesDrivers
Rms' = Rms * NumSeriesDrivers * NumParallelDrivers

The above formulas assume that:

NumSeriesDrivers = 1 and NumParallelDrivers = 1 for Nd = 1
NumSeriesDrivers = 1 and NumParallelDrivers = 2 for Nd = 2P
NumSeriesDrivers = 2 and NumParallelDrivers = 1 for Nd = 2S
NumSeriesDrivers = 2 and NumParallelDrivers = 2 for Nd = 2S x 2P

Kind regards,

David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.