PA vs Car Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Tuba36 is considered an "Okay" DIY project. You get $225 worth of sub from it.

You really want lower? TubaHT.. do it! You know you want to!
YouTube - BFM Tuba HT - 121db @ 22.2hz / 10.8v - With unmeasurable distortion using REW

agreed, the TubaHT is a worthwhile project. It's the first BFM sub I built, and it lived up to expectations. BFM member WiSounds modified the plans to put the driver access cover on the front. You remove the cover, you get more 40-60 for music, you put the cover on, and you get excellent 20hz HT effects. It's kinda big, and needs handles, but does exactly what it is designed to do. The 13' long horn path loads the driver to low 20's.

I've seen it work loaded with a cheap-o 12" car sub (alpine) to the recommended $70 dayton 15.

If you have room, it works.

Last edited:
Well, this single sub is really only going to need to be used for very small events like 20-50 ppl max so I think the 1 sub should be enough. I just don't know if 80hz is going to be low enough, but on the other hand I don't want a huge sub to lug around :(

Is there something that is about the same as the Tuba36 that might be a bit lower?

T36 built correctly should get way below 80. The 4-pack of T36 Slims I heard sure did. Labhorns will blow them away, but well, they're BIGGER with two drivers. They should.

If you want something with a big bang for the buck try modeling this:
50 square inch throat, 21x34.5" mouth, 89" path length, M=0.6, driven with Kappa P15LF2. It should fit in a T36 Slim form factor. I'm still working out the folding details of this one - it's my next horn project. Four on the floor models solid to 40 Hz, two are useable.

Still....if your goal is to reach a higher spl in a room at 25 hz what is the best to do?
example
20 jbl cs1214 250 w rms, fs 28 hz, sensivity 90 db, x max 12.1 mm
or
6 precision device pd 2450 1000w aes, fs 32 hz, sensivity 98 db, x max 10.5 mm
let s say in both cases we have an infinite bafle...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.