Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2009, 06:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default how to make subwoofer hole smaller?

ok so i went and bought a 12" woofer, I put it in my 12" subwoofer box and it doesnt fit tight, the sub seems slightly small, however i measured my sub and its exactly 12in. The sub that used to be in this box was 12" from manufacturer. i measured it, seems it is like 12" and a few milimeters, any ideas how I can make the hole abit smaller? a few milimeters will do.

Last edited by icecoolwas; 26th October 2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 26th October 2009, 07:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The method most people would use is get a piece of MDF, cut the right hole in that, then screw it over the too-big hole. Alternatively, a whole new panel could be used.

Chris
Old 26th October 2009, 07:19 PM   #3
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecoolwas View Post
ok so i went and bought a 12" woofer, I put it in my 12" subwoofer box and it doesnt fit tight, the sub seems slightly small, however i measured my sub and its exactly 12in. The sub that used to be in this box was 12" from manufacturer. i measured it, seems it is like 12" and a few milimeters, any ideas how I can make the hole abit smaller? a few milimeters will do.

In order to make a hole in wood smaller, typically you need a board stretcher... It's also very useful when you cut that board twice, and it's still too short.

However, if you just need a good tight seal to the box, a strip of this applied to the back of the driver, is just the ticket.
MD Building Products 1/4 In. x 1/2 In. x 17 Ft. Gray High Density Foam Weatherstrip Tape - 02279 at The Home Depot

In all seriousness (joking above aside) The easiest way to accomplish what you are looking to do (if it is actually necessary) is to cut a very thin strip of hardwood the width of the thickness of your driver baffle, and then polyurethane glue it in place. If you only need a couple millimeter, you may even look at using some solid wood veneer for this.
Old 26th October 2009, 08:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I agree with jbells first suggestion. If you're only looking to fill a few millimeters, weatherstripping or plumbing caulk or something squishy might be your best bet.

Last edited by djfoundation; 26th October 2009 at 08:52 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!