Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2009, 04:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Would need some help building 10" box

Hello.
I have this sub:
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/wt-644f.htm
a.k.a. would like to build a better box for teh Logitech Z-5500 subwoofer.
I have something like this in my mind:
MetkuMods - Because you love your hardware!

I really hate the looks of the current box, and think it could perform better than that. Atm its way too "boomy" for my likes, and would love to hear it to go a bit lower.
I haven't ever before built subwoofer boxes, or any kind of boxes
but am gonna go for it
Old 15th October 2009, 08:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Your problem is actually more complicated than just a poorly built sub enclosure. The frequency response of the 3" full range speakers used as satellites with the Z5500 doesn't extend very low. Somewhere around 150hz would probably be the lowest frequency the satellites could possibly play and it's likely they don't even go that low judging by their small enclosures. The subwoofer is probably crossed over very high to compensate for this which is causing the 'boomy' bass and muddy midbass. Subs are meant to play ~80hz and under. Anything over 80hz and things start getting ugly.

What's all this mean to you? You can rebuild the box but it's going to give you very marginal benefits and the main 'flaw' in the design (high crossover point) will still be present. If you still want to rebuild the box you might still enjoy doing it but it's dubious that the sound will improve much if at all.
Old 15th October 2009, 08:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Check this out if you still want to rebuild:

enclosure for TB WT-644F (z-5500) 10"
Old 15th October 2009, 08:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w3-871sc.htm
Its 110hz.

And these are just 300€ pc speakers for crying out loud.
Im not hifi dude clearly
I just want to build a new box for the sub, atleast a better looking one, even if the sound it produces doesn't improve I get the joy for making something of mine.

Could any1 recommend some kind of software for box size calculations etc? am gonna use the original reflexport and make the box the same volume as the original.
Old 15th October 2009, 10:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagittaja View Post
The logitech satellite boxes are tiny and sealed (I believe). This pushes the low end response a little higher than the free air resonsance listed on the tangband website. You're leaving the satellite enclosures as-is, however, so all this is really irrelevant...

To stay on topic, though, if you look at a measurement of the subwoofer (second graph down on the page), you will see that the sub is only -10db @ ~200hz and -15db @ 250hz. This is determined by the active crossover in the amp and can't be fixed by rebuilding the box. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you out of it. I'm just letting you know that the improvements will be minimal.

Lots of people seem fond of WinISD software .

Quote:
Im not a hifi dude
Oh and by the way, who are you trying to fool? You're not happy with boomy bass and you want to design and build a subwoofer. That's the definition of an audiophile
Old 16th October 2009, 12:20 AM   #6
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Sonotube
Old 17th October 2009, 10:46 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagittaja View Post
Its 110hz.
In theory. You should not expect serious output levels below 300 Hz from such a small driver.

You can try a few easy things against boomyness.

- reduce the woofer's level or increase the other speakers' levels.
- experiment with the woofer's position. If it is placed next to walls or below a table, remove it from there. Lift it from the floor, e. g. put it on a stool or a table to check the effect. If the floor vibrates, e. g. a wooden floor, try spikes.
- stuff the woofer's reflex tube with a sponge, a cloth or something similar. Try different stuffings.
- turn the phases of the satellites by connecting them the other way round. Depending on their position that can improve the integration around the cross-over between subwoofer and satellites.
- try, if any of the effect settings improves the sound.
Old 24th October 2009, 08:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Stuffing the reflex tube, I find, helps greatly, with sub/sat PC speakers. I use socks, but others would do just aswell.
Old 26th October 2009, 11:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

FWIW, Unibox gives me a 45L BR box tuned to ~35 Hz
'am gonna use the original reflexport and make the box the same volume as the original. '
- The boominess may be because your current box is too small/tuned too high

Hide this!Advertise here!