Pyle 21" driver: Surely this cannot be.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking through the bowels of MCM electronics when I came across this:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/PYLE-PDW21250-/55-2366

My god! What a beast! Or is it?

The blisteringly high SPL, 22hz resonant frequency, 4" voice coil, and 1000w rms rating leave me wondering: Why is this only $200?

I mean, in a big enough cabinet, this would be amazing for bass guitar with a big 5x7" horn bullet tweeter crossed at 3khz... but I can't help but think that it's too good to be true.

I know pyle sells a lot of $20 junk that blows up at half of its output rating, but their pro series looks pretty serious. However, they don't even have this driver on their website, and they definitely don't have a data sheet for it. So I'm wondering, does anyone here have any experience with this driver, or their 18" or 15" drivers of the same series? I'd love to know if this might be looking into.

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I'm new and not sure where, if anywhere, stage audio discussion is tolerated.

Fully understood, Pyle usually means pile. But does it look like crap? I don't know for sure. I mean, can they really lie about... everything?

Because if they can, they probably did here.

But I just don't know. It's all really frustrating. Has anyone heard of this woofer or read any reviews, because I couldn't find any, but dozens of distributors sell it.

Other than it being from Pyle, or perhaps in spite of being from Pyle, does anyone think this might be worthwhile?

I mean, in a big enough cabinet, this would be amazing for bass guitar with a big 5x7" horn bullet tweeter crossed at 3khz... but I can't help but think that it's too good to be true.

More than likely too good to be true. 107dB? I don't think so. It would need a 50 Hz fs and sub 1-mm x-max to do that. That thing looks like the Goldwoods that seem to be just mediocre at best.

The best stuff that Pyle "makes" is the pro series that looks, feels, and specs like Eminence (because it is). The prices, however, are a bit higher than equivalent drivers straight from the horse's mouth (the Greek letter series) so why bother? Everything else I've seen from them lately is junk.

Many moons ago, when they had their own plant, Pyle used to make an 18" 97 dB/W woofer that cost about $100 and blew away anything Eminence made at the time. Smooth on axis to 4k and rolled off at a predictable 2nd order. Worked well sealed or vented in at least 6 cubes. With a bullet horn as you describe it made one heck of a bass guitar cab up to about 150W where it hit excursion limit. I've never seen anything like it at any price since.

So we look at it here. Probably not 107db spl... probably more like 95db. Still a nice driver if the power handling is what they say it is. Even if it's inflated, lets say this is a 500w rms driver. That would be... nice! I mean, 21" woofer, a 350oz magnet structure and a 4in voice coil! You can say up and down that pyle's usually lousy anymore, but those are real numbers no matter how you weigh it.

Efficiency and power handling, and maybe resonant frequency might be exaggerated, but it might be worth a gamble, maybe as a powered PA subwoofer or bass guitar speaker, especially at the $141 that woody found.

I dunno. I'm really, really thinking about this for the future. I have a 4x10 bass and 2 2x8 PA cabs to build first, but when it comes time to think about a PA sub... this is on my list.

I own a pair. I really like them. Well made cast frame, very high build quality. Magnet is huge, very heavy speakers. I use them at home and definitely they are not used to full potential. I don't know how they'd perform when driven hard at a night club or at a concert.
looks like t/s parameters differ with each production run. you need to buy drivers first, then design cabinets for them.
Measured on 24x24in baffle standing on hardwood floor.
I don't remember mic distance, maybe ~12in.

Attachments

• pyle21.gif
    pyle21.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,335
Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Is it likely the linear Xmax is very low? Like 1-2mm each way. There is a Monacor 18" unit like this:

http://www.monacor.de/typo3/index.php?id=84&L=1&artid=3569&spr=EN&typ=full

Yeah, I bought the 15" version years ago, not being too clever, and having no internet
I chose the 15" because it has 50% greater Xmax, +/-3mm :headbash:
Still havent put it to use
Now I have a cheap 10" on the way. Hopefully landing on my doorstep tomorrow.
Fs is 29hz(?) and 94db, and I dont even know the Xmax on that one, so I may still be in luck:rolleyes:
But maybe I will strip it and mount threaded spider, and I will know by looking at voice coil, if I dare to :D
I will try an throw it in an old backloaded made fore 8" Lowther, which didnt sound too good
It may sound good, or just ok, or it may sound horrible
Its actually a bit exciting
Fortunately theres other ways of using it
If only I knew VAS and Qts :headshot:

Last edited:
I have one left, other one had a cold solder joint problem. Took a look @ the coil overhang awhile ago, with my pen laser and estimate 10mm Xmax. Originally burned it in with a 1200 wrms amp just below clip @ 20 Hz for a 8 hrs, it didn't hit the backplate and I estimate about 1 1/2" p-p mechanical limit.
I would put up a hornresp sheet for a tapped sim if I knew how to. Seems like a good unit. 129 dB(+1-2) from 33-94 Hz in 430 litres.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.