Help with a tapped horn. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2009, 10:34 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Thanks Flip for the info. Your right, dual 8's defeat the purpose. Oh well it won't go to waste, I'll use the MCM 8" in a Autotuba or a DIY subkick.

I have a couple Eminence 3015lf drivers, I wonder how they do in a tapped horn?

I don't have any of the Eminence Kappa Pro 12A on hand, but can get them about $50.00 below retail price. How many 24" T x 22.5" D x 15" W boxes do you think I would need for live band PA in small clubs (200-300 people)? We play 80's to current rock and metal? We run everything thru PA and looking for that thump in the chest kick drum...
Old 12th September 2009, 04:02 AM   #12
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
I tried and tried, but couldn't come up with an acceptable PA tapped horn with the MCM driver.
I'm curious why, not enough peak SPL even doubled up?

GM
Old 12th September 2009, 04:46 AM   #13
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Mike:
3015lf's are fantastic in TH. Go search screamerusa's cabinets for them. That's your absolute best bet. I used 4 of them in a very large TH, for a football stadium project. Yea, 3015lf works well in TH.

GM:
Check out my outdoor measurements on my dual 55-2421 FLH... average 103db @2.83v, drivers in series for 8ohm cabinet? wow... If you've got any hornresp sims that come anywhere close... I'm all ears. I used a pair of them for a PA in the Park event... Outdoor, PA, FLAT TO 40!!!! out of an 8" driver that costs $25... blasphemy... driven with one channel of an xti1000, worked beautifully. (btw, a zed14 to a xti1000 is a killer cheap setup)
Old 12th September 2009, 06:45 AM   #14
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, it'll do ~100 dB, but it's close to 400 L, so there's better driver choices for this much bulk. Without a proper compression chamber a driver can only do so much. I was just curious if there was some other reason.

GM
Old 13th September 2009, 01:31 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

yea, about 100db in 400l for TH, or 103db in 270l for FLH. Some drivers just like FLH, and some like TH.

I had to use a compression chamber, and a very high compression ratio to get it, but it works. Of the cabinets I've made, I think this one impresses me most, because cheap-o MCM 8" drivers are not supposed to be able to do PA duty.

The concept that I had, that I never completed, was a 'bass stick' A FLH for a 55-2421, that would be the speaker stand for a pa top. (Think up and back FLH) I thought that would help me out in small venue's.. but then, it seems that anything small, I need to wall or corner load the sub(s), and everything else is outdoor or needs more than that would give, so the bass stick idea kinda died.

Another thought, is a BFM T18, dual driver, 24" wide, with a big inductor (10-12mh) That gives respectable output, and is reasonably flat. 4-8 of those would be downright impressive, and easy to carry.
Old 13th September 2009, 04:54 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I read the 67 page thread of screamerusa's. My poor little peanut brain is swimming. Whew! I don't even know where to start. lol

I was trying to shy away from a big cab and the 3015lf. What I am looking for is a small light weight cab and a cheap driver. Something I could build 6 or 8 of to give the thump in the chest from the kick drum.

It doesn't have to be a tapped horn, I just thought the pic of the cabs I posted at the beginning of the thread would be about the right size for me. How would a 10" BP102 do? They can be had pretty cheap and are for bass. Would 6 or 8 of them in a TH do any good?
Old 13th September 2009, 05:12 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

What tops are you going to use with the sub cabinets?

Regards Johan
Old 13th September 2009, 07:39 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

The tops are 4 - BFM Otop 12's.

Thanks Mike
Old 13th September 2009, 08:13 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

bp102... hmm sounds like you are getting the T39 suggestions in BFM land.
Well here's a couple pics that you might find interesting. One of them, is the T39s, ready for hot dog duty... (roasting) I just don't like -13db@ 40hz, vs 100hz.... Just like bgavin, I like flat to 40. I just don't want to have to eq my subs down to 95db efficiency across the board, to get it. (BFM faithful will tell you, that gives you more 'headroom' when you eq down the upper freq... Well, I've never had a need for more 100hz headroom on a sub...) I have ZERO bass eq on my little (21x23x33) mcm FLH subs, and with just 2 of them, they are flat to 40.

so... take that as my 2c...

If you want a BFM design, build 24" wide dual T18's. ounce for ounce, cubic inch per cubic inch, it's the best sub BFM has. I actually don't think Bill has a good appreciation of how good that sub really is, especially with an inductor added. The second picture gives you a good reference on how much bigger T39's are, vs the dual T18.

good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture2 144a.JPG (44.9 KB, 670 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 553a.JPG (32.5 KB, 646 views)
Old 13th September 2009, 09:00 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply Jbell. I like that flat to 40 idea also. Yeah, I have been looking at the T 39's slims. But I want to look at all options before I decide. I can get the BP102 pretty cheap. So I wonder how it would do in a design like this?

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!