Desktop Sub, I'd like your feedback.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am designing a desktop system. My hope is that It will provide a nice musical experience while seated at the desk and also be "OK" while seated in the middle of the room. I live in England, so my office is 6'X9'! :)

There are a lot of constraints on this project. First one is 5" foot print for the sub. It is after all, a desktop system ie small than a "bookshelf" system.

My first idea is to use two 2" "subs." in a ~5" cube. One down firing the other rear firing. The idea being that the rear firing sub would extend the bass using a horn-like effect with the back wall (TB 2" subs have a free air res of 90Hz).

The second idea is to use a 4" sub, down firing, in a roughly ~5"x5"X12" box, but this is already starting to get too big for the desktop.

I'd like to hear what you guys think about these ideas. Looking forward to your more learned and experienced input.

I'll put my right left speaker ideas in another thread.

Thanks!

OMG Subwoofer Calculations!!!

I'm working on designing a desktop subwoofer. I had no idea how complicated this can be!!!

I have a basic idea to design a true desktop system, as in SMALL.

For the sub I was considering using two Tangband 2" subs in a ported box. One down firing and the second rear firing to take advantage, hopefully of extending the bass by wall placement. I live in England and have a 6'X9' office. Rooms are small here, usually. I was also hoping for a 5" foot print, no larger.

I would like to build something that will be musical while seated at desk and "OK," while seated in the center of the room.

However, I did a Vb calculation for only one driver and got 4.59 cubic feet!!!

Is this correct?

Qts = .31
Vas = .31L

I'm totally new to this. Be gentle :eek:

Thanks!

Hi,

I am designing a desktop system. My hope is that It will provide a nice musical experience while seated at the desk and also be "OK" while seated in the middle of the room. I live in England, so my office is 6'X9'! :)

There are a lot of constraints on this project. First one is 5" foot print for the sub. It is after all, a desktop system ie small than a "bookshelf" system.

If you expand your limitations to include a sub that can bolt on below the desk, you'll increase the number of possible options significantly - like a TL or a TH with one of those square TB 4" drivers.

quency

"Subwoofer" is really a misnomer here. I'm thinking of it more as a bass augmenter which will probably have quite a high crossover point considering the mains will be 3" drivers.

I think a fair amount of the bass coming from this "sub" will be relatively directional due to a highish crossover point. So, I wanted to have it near and more or less on the same plane as the mains.

I'm only theorizing here.

Thanks for your ideas.

Subwoofer Calculations. Help!

Considering a box for my desktop subwoofer.

Tangband 4" Sub

Vas 4.84L
Qts 0.28

Using online calculator Vb = 1.45L or a roughly 4.6" square box.

That seems very small. Is this correct?

(I haven't got to tuning and porting yet)

I'm totally new to this. So, go slow. :no:

Thanks.

I can see a possible issue here:

There is a good possibility (IMO) that the woofer will find the resonant frequency of something on the desktop. Since it's directly on the desktop, there will be more vibration than if placed somewhere else. This can cause random objects to rattle.

I suggest putting some very rubbery feet on it (go to Petco and look at the fish air pumps for inspiration), though this could just have the effect of shifting the resonance (or giving the woofer box resonance of its own).

If you place two speakers on opposite sides of the box which are electronically in phase, you can cancel most of the vibration.

- keantoken

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The bolting to the bottom of the desk idea is intriguing. I'll keep it in mind.

Meanwhile, off-topic, I can't seem to find some of my posts. Is every single post moderated? Do they often delete posts or do we just wait until they get to them? Just curious...new here.

Thanks.

Yes. We examine them, and if they are not spam or offending, we approve them, until you will be registered members. After that, bad posts get either reported by members or we bump on them, and we take action if needed.

It is recommended that the enclosure not be square due to standing waves.

Cabs that are acoustically small for the intended BW are considered to have a ~uniform particle density, so there's not enough acoustic energy to excite them enough to matter and adding damping finishes them off to well below its noise floor, ergo its shape and where the driver and vent (if used) is located on it is irrelevant.

For example, loosely stuffed (or lined) with a 100 Hz/2nd order XO, the cab's dims shouldn't generate any eigenmodes below ~ the XO's Fh -24 dB point or ~100*2^(4/2) = 400 Hz or ~13560/2/400 = ~17" (~2.84 ft^3 gross) to ensure a minimal amount of damping can handle it, so for many of today's 'sub' designs a cubic solution is acceptable.

GM

Cabs that are acoustically small for the intended BW are considered to have a ~uniform particle density, so there's not enough acoustic energy to excite them enough to matter and adding damping finishes them off to well below its noise floor, ergo its shape and where the driver and vent (if used) is located on it is irrelevant.

For example, loosely stuffed (or lined) with a 100 Hz/2nd order XO, the cab's dims shouldn't generate any eigenmodes below ~ the XO's Fh -24 dB point or ~100*2^(4/2) = 400 Hz or ~13560/2/400 = ~17" (~2.84 ft^3 gross) to ensure a minimal amount of damping can handle it, so for many of today's 'sub' designs a cubic solution is acceptable.

GM

Thanks GM for the explanation.

Josh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.