Acoustic elegance Woofers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Stumbled across a brand called Acoustic Elegance.

Those woofers sure look impressive, but how good are they?
Anyone with some experience on these?

My area of interrest is low distortion Low Fs (30 Hz -3dB) sub, preferably closed box.

Are these units suitable for HI-fi Service?

Best regards,

Elbert

Thanks for the Input JP!

Have you used any particular woofer in any specific set up?

These drivers sure look interresting, especially considering that they are hand buildt in the USA. One thing is supporting Western industry (what little is left of it), and the other thing is of course quality controll. Many other woofers out there look interesting, but a lot of the time the origin is really obscure..

Take the Dayton RSS390 15" woofers for instance; they sure look good, but who buildt them and where, and what is the level of quality bassurance and consistency behind that nice look?

I've used the AV12 and AV15 in both sealed and Passive Radiator boxes. They have excellent output and you can actually run them quite high if you need to use them in a three-way system. The drivers I've had have been built very well, the parts are very robust and the they look as if great care was taken building them. John is a great guy to talk to if you get the chance, and I enjoy supporting his small company.
JP

Sounds very promising!

I tried computer modeling with some of the drivers advertised on their web-page, but I was not totally happy with the LF extension in all cases.

So I contacted them and asked if they could help me with the following design targets:

This is what I'm after:

12" or 15" woofers.

Closed box for best transient response/ group delay. Volume would preferably be in the 100-150L range, but 200L may be acceptable if required for meeting performance goals.

My target F3 would be around 30Hz, with a gentle roll-off slope, allowing room assisted response down in to the 20's. Upper cut off will probably be 24 dB active at 70-100 Hz.

Xmax and maximum power handling should be sufficient for 105-110 dB without excessive power compression or distortion.

The amplifiers I'm building at the moment are high-quality MOSFET stages which will deliver around 90W in to 8 Ohms,

To sum it up, I'm hoping to build subwoofers that can reproduce the lowest octaves effortlessly at realistic SPL's for domestic high-quality Hi-Fi use.

Will be very interesting to hear the response..

Remember that an increase in power from 90 to 180W will only yield a 3 dB increase in SPL.. ;)

A woofer with some good headroom in terms of power handling will only give increased thermal margin to reduce power compression, but of course I do not necessarily require a VC capable of handling 500-1000W :)

Elbert, they have some drivers which vary a great deal in their intended applications. The AV series is probably what you want for 30 - 70 Hz, but with 90w I'd consider them under powered. I have some older AV series drivers and I had them running on 650w each. I've tried powering them with a NAD power amp and I found it frustrating as I knew they had so much more to give. I'd consider 350 - 1000w a good range.

With 90w you might be more interested in the TD range, as they are far more efficient, but then it would be a waste to cross so low.

Hi!

Yes, considering the fact that i won't be using an arch-welder to power my subs, something a bit more efficient than the heavy AV-subs might suit my bill better.

And the TD range drivers do look incredibly nice, not inly in terms of apparent build quality and motor-design, but also aesthetically.

Just Hope I hear from the AV guys soon!

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
My area of interrest is low distortion Low Fs (30 Hz -3dB) sub, preferably closed box.

Elbert

AE woofers are no doubt among the best

Personally I would be charged 25% tax, and expencive shipping
However, I would pay what it takes if they would do the driver I want

For closed box SBAcoustic 12" seems perfect, and from specs it meets your requirements spot on with -3db at 33hz in closed
AE woofers seem more designed for BR
Not sure how much will change with "room-gain"

http://www.intertechnik.de/Lautspre...oustics/_SB34NRXC75-6_1768,de,6383,53004.html

However, AE woofers may be of better quality
And cost could be close to the same
But specs are not perfect for closed box
The best seem to be TD15S with its highish Qts, and it does a -3db at 44hz

Another thing to consider
Low bass in closed means high Qts
Be careful not to end with sloppy bass

Last edited:
Yes, tax and Shipping would be expensive, but as I'm going on a business trip to USA shortly, there might be a convenient way around that! :)

Yes, looks like most of the AE woofers are optimized for BR, use, but then again, they do have some OB designs, so who knows what they could be able to do?

Looked at the 15S, but I don't think room gain will be enough to give true sub-performance with this driver in a closed box..

Sure, the SB acoustics looks interresting. As far as I know, SB acoustics is designed by some guys from the Danish speaker industry, but I don't know how these drivers are quality-wise as they seem to be manufacured somewhere in the far east.

Hehe, I think 4 15" woofers of that calibre would be stretching my baggage-allowance a bit! :)

See if you can find some cheap off-season air tickets in stead, the savings might just offset the ticket costs, especially if you buy some jeans as well! (and thats no kidding!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.