Acoustic elegance Woofers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Elbert is offline Elbert  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustic elegance Woofers?

Stumbled across a brand called Acoustic Elegance.

Those woofers sure look impressive, but how good are they?
Anyone with some experience on these?

My area of interrest is low distortion Low Fs (30 Hz -3dB) sub, preferably closed box.

Are these units suitable for HI-fi Service?

Best regards,

Elbert
Old 31st August 2009, 02:23 PM   #2
zora is offline zora  United States
diyAudio Member

John makes great drivers. He builds each by hand at his shop. I've found that the AV series performs very well.

JP
Old 31st August 2009, 02:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the Input JP!

Have you used any particular woofer in any specific set up?

These drivers sure look interresting, especially considering that they are hand buildt in the USA. One thing is supporting Western industry (what little is left of it), and the other thing is of course quality controll. Many other woofers out there look interesting, but a lot of the time the origin is really obscure..

Take the Dayton RSS390 15" woofers for instance; they sure look good, but who buildt them and where, and what is the level of quality bassurance and consistency behind that nice look?
Old 31st August 2009, 03:54 PM   #4
zora is offline zora  United States
diyAudio Member

I've used the AV12 and AV15 in both sealed and Passive Radiator boxes. They have excellent output and you can actually run them quite high if you need to use them in a three-way system. The drivers I've had have been built very well, the parts are very robust and the they look as if great care was taken building them. John is a great guy to talk to if you get the chance, and I enjoy supporting his small company.
JP
Old 31st August 2009, 05:15 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

John has been doing good work for some time now. And now that Nick McKinney has joined them, the company has the technical prowess to make some of the best drivers in the world.

dave
Old 31st August 2009, 05:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Sounds very promising!

I tried computer modeling with some of the drivers advertised on their web-page, but I was not totally happy with the LF extension in all cases.

So I contacted them and asked if they could help me with the following design targets:

[I]This is what I'm after:

12" or 15" woofers.

Closed box for best transient response/ group delay. Volume would preferably be in the 100-150L range, but 200L may be acceptable if required for meeting performance goals.

My target F3 would be around 30Hz, with a gentle roll-off slope, allowing room assisted response down in to the 20's. Upper cut off will probably be 24 dB active at 70-100 Hz.

Xmax and maximum power handling should be sufficient for 105-110 dB without excessive power compression or distortion.

The amplifiers I'm building at the moment are high-quality MOSFET stages which will deliver around 90W in to 8 Ohms,

To sum it up, I'm hoping to build subwoofers that can reproduce the lowest octaves effortlessly at realistic SPL's for domestic high-quality Hi-Fi use.

Will be very interesting to hear the response..
Old 31st August 2009, 05:45 PM   #7
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

I would think that only having 90W would lead you to much larger enclosures than what's probably recommended, in order to get a decent response down low. Even the IB ones are rated for 200W continuous.
Old 31st August 2009, 06:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Remember that an increase in power from 90 to 180W will only yield a 3 dB increase in SPL..

A woofer with some good headroom in terms of power handling will only give increased thermal margin to reduce power compression, but of course I do not necessarily require a VC capable of handling 500-1000W
Old 2nd September 2009, 08:52 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Elbert, they have some drivers which vary a great deal in their intended applications. The AV series is probably what you want for 30 - 70 Hz, but with 90w I'd consider them under powered. I have some older AV series drivers and I had them running on 650w each. I've tried powering them with a NAD power amp and I found it frustrating as I knew they had so much more to give. I'd consider 350 - 1000w a good range.

With 90w you might be more interested in the TD range, as they are far more efficient, but then it would be a waste to cross so low.
Old 2nd September 2009, 04:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi!

Yes, considering the fact that i won't be using an arch-welder to power my subs, something a bit more efficient than the heavy AV-subs might suit my bill better.

And the TD range drivers do look incredibly nice, not inly in terms of apparent build quality and motor-design, but also aesthetically.

Just Hope I hear from the AV guys soon!

Hide this!Advertise here!