Acoustic elegance Woofers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The AV series from AE are available with dual voice coils. That would let you use 2 amp channels for each driver to help overcome the 90W limitation. Or, for sub use at very low frequencies, you could just buy a cheap pro amp with plenty of power. Maybe a Behringer EP2500? I think power counts more than 'audiophile goodness' at sub frequencies and you'd have a hard time telling the difference between 2 amps with equal power.

I'm curious to see 1 or 2m half space FR curves for the AV12 and AV15. Anyone know if they are online anywhere?

Hi PB2,

Here John measured both AV15H and AV15X :
http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1831#p8245

This is close mic technique, but at least it may help you a bit. As you can see, they have a resonance at 1 kHz and 2 kHz, but besides that they are real smooth.

AV12H and AV12X measurements are not available yet.

Sounds very promising!

I tried computer modeling with some of the drivers advertised on their web-page, but I was not totally happy with the LF extension in all cases.

So I contacted them and asked if they could help me with the following design targets:

This is what I'm after:

12" or 15" woofers.

Closed box for best transient response/ group delay. Volume would preferably be in the 100-150L range, but 200L may be acceptable if required for meeting performance goals.

My target F3 would be around 30Hz, with a gentle roll-off slope, allowing room assisted response down in to the 20's. Upper cut off will probably be 24 dB active at 70-100 Hz.

Xmax and maximum power handling should be sufficient for 105-110 dB without excessive power compression or distortion.

The amplifiers I'm building at the moment are high-quality MOSFET stages which will deliver around 90W in to 8 Ohms,

To sum it up, I'm hoping to build subwoofers that can reproduce the lowest octaves effortlessly at realistic SPL's for domestic high-quality Hi-Fi use.

Will be very interesting to hear the response..

Im a huge fan of AE speakers, I own 2 TD12S, 2 TD12Ms and the AV15X...they make some of the best drivers out there period.

Did you model the AV15H?? It should meet your needs....with a little bigger sealed box? Oh, 90W isnt much for any subwoofer....and the 100dB sensitivity ones you really should be looking at (Eminence, Faital Pro, JBL, etc) do not really go down to 30Hz in a sealed cabinet either. I think you need more power fo any subwoofer unless you never watch movies?

btw, the TD series isnt really designed for subwoofer usage. They are pro audio main speaker woofers that run up past 1KHz very well and that is where their $$$/performance blows others away.

Last edited:
AE woofers are no doubt among the best

Personally I would be charged 25% tax, and expencive shipping
However, I would pay what it takes if they would do the driver I want

For closed box SBAcoustic 12" seems perfect, and from specs it meets your requirements spot on with -3db at 33hz in closed
AE woofers seem more designed for BR
Not sure how much will change with "room-gain"

http://www.intertechnik.de/Lautspre...oustics/_SB34NRXC75-6_1768,de,6383,53004.html

However, AE woofers may be of better quality
And cost could be close to the same
But specs are not perfect for closed box
The best seem to be TD15S with its highish Qts, and it does a -3db at 44hz

Another thing to consider
Low bass in closed means high Qts
Be careful not to end with sloppy bass

I am looking at the SB34NRXC75-6 for a project myself but am looking at options, a quick glance the AE woofers look interesting just to select the best model for sealed box use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.