How to correctly use WinISD

I've noticed a quite few people seem to be having all sorts of problems using WinISD when trying to design speaker cabs. So i thought i'd explain how i do it.

Enter the Thiele Small parameters from the drivers data sheet in the order you see in my screenie.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A = Qes

B = Qms

C = Fs

D = Re

E = Vas

F = Pe

G = Xmax

H = BL

Pay VERY close attention to the terminology, as there are multiple choices available to choose from in WinISD. This is because not all manufactures list them identically. One incorrect entry and your design will we way off, and will NOT work as you hoped.

For example - Vas might be listed as 9.288 cubic feet, which is the same as 263.00 Liters in my screenie. If you carefully click on the appropriate position, in this case L as shown by the red arrow, you are able to change it to match what your data sheet shows.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Also notice how the text in the white entry boxes are coloured. Green, Blue and Black.

Green = Manually entered data

Blue = Automatically calculated

Black = No data

If you Carefully follow the above advice, then you should be now be able to design boxes more confidently and accurately. I've been using WinISD for many years this way, with great success both commercially and privately.

Happy building and listening,

Regards

Zero D

collo

Hi, unfortunately even with the helpfile included in WinISD, a lot of people still struggle with it, and some even give up trying. As there are many different possible permutations of entering the required data, and also different terminology used by companies, i thought it would be useful/helpful to show precisely how to accomplish a working design, for those that didn't already know.

By the way, thanks for your www and your very useful tools.

GM

Thanks for the kind words, and the link.

I find it's best to use the most reliable parameters and enter them according to the instructions in the program. Things like RE, BL, SD, MMS...Parameters like FS, VAS etc. often vary quite a bit more between drivers. I don't worry about getting the parameters exactly like the manufacturer's specs. Small variations in a parameter or 2 like the qts, vas, fs, don't really affect the modeling appreciably. I'm talking about small differences like the VAS being 224L instead of 231L or the FS being 22.6hz instead of 23hz or the qts being 0.411 instead of 0.415. The real world driver variation from the manufacturer's median specs are usually much bigger than this.

Hi all.

PeteMcK

Entering Sd and let WinISD calculate BL is fine, as there many ways to achieve the same results when entering the required data. I could have given multiple of examples of entering the values in different ways, but that would only have confused some people. So i had to choose one way to explain, which i know definately works.

Josh Ricci

Small amounts as you suggest, i agree won't make a lot of difference.

Collo

Ahh, you're not Col then. I saw the Oz flag and together with Col i presumed it was you lol. Anyway, nice to see you on here.

Col

As you can see i now know who's who, sorry for the confusion with the names.

Although he didn't go into detail; Jack Hidley (someone who knows a thing or two about speaker design) posted on AVS that in the first few minutes of trying to use WinISD he noticed there were math errors in the program.

It might be a good idea to get this clarified since tutorials, tips and FAQs are rather pointless if the program itself is flawed.

This is an older thread but I d/led winisd pro .50 alpha from Softpedia. I previously had another winISD prog on here.

I have the driver params put in for one not on the list file name 'roland' (small 'r'). My goal is to get a port diameter and depth.

This has been impossible. And yes I have read the directions and even some additional how tos.

Is there any step by step instruction for Winisd freeware that is complete with screen shots?

This means not skipping anything and using something other than the canned help file which only uses drivers that are on the list.

Maybe the T/S prams for this old Roland are out of range. Here they are:

[quoting a previous note]

Zene posted these specs back then, so OB or leaky box are the obvious choices:

Roland 8" is/are: (Used Peak Inst. for test, only broke-in 12 hrs.)

Paper cone
Fs = 78.76 hz
Vas = 24.5 L/0.8652 cu ft
Re = 7.309
Le = .2462 mh
Qms = 5.772
Qes = 1.977
Qts = 1.473
Sd = 21.4 sq cm/3.317 sq in
BL = 0.4477 N/A (calc'd)
Spl 89.65 1w/1m
Pe = 30W

GM

ref:

Some research is needed (Page 1) / FullRangeDriver Forum / Fullrangedriver Forum

[end quote]

Hey man I'm subed, thanks for starting the thread.

YouTube - WinISD-entering-parameters.avi

Here is a link to a you tube about entering the data. The sidebar shows some other box design vids. using other programs.

I will give it another whirl. But I may be just having a three into two won't go problem. The old Roland belongs in an OB. I've been told that repeatedly and I think that finally I will give that a shot. Once done I can re-cut the OB for a Karlson. My move to Karlson is to get the box size down from floor standers. Plus the K's look interesting. I have one made but not tuned.

optimal dimensions are where standing waves occur at different freqvencys.
Suposedly one can just use 3rd root of 2 as the ratio of sides.
if A dimension is 1, then B should be 1,26 , C should be 1,59 or so.
But actualy for subs the ratios do not mather that mutch, standing waves will be formed at out of band freqvency for the sub.

WinISD without tears

Nice to see people making use of the thread :)

I wish i'd called it "WinISD without tears" or something similar, instead of "How to correctly use WinISD"

I realise there are more ways than mine to successfully use WinISD, but so many people seem to have, or have had problems entering the parameters correctly, and therefore making errors & getting frustrated etc, i felt that by making this thread with lots of clear screeshots etc, would enable them to spend more time designing, and more quickly, with a sure fire way that works and gets results :)