Options for Selenium 15PW3 SLF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I currently have a pair of these drivers in 6cuft vented boxes as recommended by Parts Express. I've seen a few threads about using these in Open Baffle but haven't really seen any designs be it "H" or "U". They sound good in the boxes I have but I'm curious about this wonderful OB phenomenon and thought I might whip one up to experience it for myself. Seems more than a couple of members here have experimented with these drivers over the years so any other enclosure/baffle design that you liked would be appreciated.

GM

Joined 2003
Interesting, the specs in the cab design pdf are considerably different for the better than those listed at PE, so wonder which is more accurate. Regardless, either set sims some minor benefits from a bit lower tuning around 37 Hz, but with its low Xmax, it's strictly a mid-bass unit in an OB unless the flattening of transients or sustained LF notes at higher SPLs due to the mechanical compression of its rising rate suspension combined with its under-hung motor design is acceptable to you.

That said, there is (was?) a site that recommends 6th order vented alignments with design details for at least some of Selenium's products, but can't find it ATM.

GM

When this woofer was suggested to me by a couple here that really liked it I found that it really is optimised for OB and a 6cuft box is essentially that. The vent is 25 sqin and real short, only 1.58". Instead of actually making a vent I just left the bottom of the box open and lifted it off the floor with spikes to the proper height for the required vent area. I then added moulding around the bottom edge to give me the correct vent length/depth.
I'm still experimenting with placement and I like how it sounds but as I am on a trek to get learned on all things HiFi I thought I'd try OB too. 6th order bandpass sounds like fun, please continue. WAF consideration: N/A.

Hmm, a 6 ft^3 box is anything but an open baffle (OB). Note that you created a mass loaded TL (MLTL) which considering the way you did it will perform a bit differently than a ducted port one and for the better overall IMO.

Frankly, other than OB with a sub system or severely Xmax limited 20+ ft^3 cabs tuned into the 20s, I believe there's little more to be gained than what you've already accomplished.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.