Subwoofer & Amplifier Issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just purchased a plate amplifier for my subwoofer that is rated 150WRMS into 4ohms (Jaycar AA0507). The driver which i'm using is 150WRMS into 8ohms.
I ran a test to see if the amplfier was working properly. It was working fine for a few minutes before a buzzing noise began. Could this have been caused due to the driver being 8ohms when the amp is rated at 4ohms?

If so, what can i do about this?

Thanks.

8 ohms should definitely be okay - it's easier on the amplifier, you just won't get full power out of it.

What sort of buzzing is it? Is it a clean 50 Hz mains buzz, or something else?

Don't know if you've tried it, but fiddle around with all the connections first and see if that helps things. It could just be a loose connection.

Thanks for the reply Stu.

I've tried fiddling with the connections and everything was fine.
Actually today it ran without problems until it was under moderately high power (knob around 75%).
It's not a mains buzz. It fluctuates randomly and sometimes even continues to buzz even when there is no input signal. The input source is not an issue either, cause it happens with every device i've connected it to.

Manufactering issue perhaps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.