Sonosub; noob to diy subs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2009, 08:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Sonosub; noob to diy subs

Hello, so I want to build a DIY Sonosub over this summer but I'm not sure exactly how to power it or if I'm even looking at good parts.

I was looking into this sub woofer since it has a pretty nice range
*23-3,000 Hz* and an impedance of 4 ohms:
Link

Just three questions now:

*Since this is a 10" sub, what would be the appropriate dimensions for the sonotube?

*I want to connect this to my computer, would I have to go sub woofer>amp>receiver>computer, or do i need an amp with a powered reviever? how does this all play out?

*This sub woofer says it will accept from 200-250watts, I was wanting to do a 2.1 setup using some front speakers I already have, con someone suggest some good 2.1 receivers that will power this?

(My budget for the sub+other components is ~$300)

Thanks in advance for any comments!
Old 15th July 2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Stu is offline Stu  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Sonosub; noob to diy subs

Quote:
Originally posted by yamata188
Just three questions now:

*Since this is a 10" sub, what would be the appropriate dimensions for the sonotube?
You usually have to look at all those numbers they give you to work that out, then plug them into some speaker design software (I use WinISD). I'm getting about 100 L for a sealed and about 220 L for a vented sub - do the maths on that to see what dimensions you need.

Quote:
*I want to connect this to my computer, would I have to go sub woofer>amp>receiver>computer, or do i need an amp with a powered reviever? how does this all play out?
I guess you've got a fair bit of flexibility here (particularly given that even basic sound cards have 5.1 out these days). If you're already using a receiver, this combination should work - just take the receiver sub pre-out and connect it to your subwoofer amp.

Quote:
*This sub woofer says it will accept from 200-250watts, I was wanting to do a 2.1 setup using some front speakers I already have, con someone suggest some good 2.1 receivers that will power this?

(My budget for the sub+other components is ~$300)

Thanks in advance for any comments!
I'm not sure there really are too many 2.1 receivers that can power a sub, you generally need a dedicated amplifier for the sub (I usually go plate amps, but those might be hard to fit against the curved surface of a sonotube).

Then again, just about any stereo amplifier should do for the mains, with a dedicated subwoofer amplifier for the sub.

A lot of sub amps have line in and out, so this would be another way of doing things:

computer > sub amp (with connected sub) > stereo amp > main speakers

Your stereo amp doesn't need a line out for this, and I think the subwoofer amp should handle the high/low pass filtering.
Old 15th July 2009, 03:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

So given that this driver will take from 200 to 250 Watts, what if the amp for the sub woofer has a higher output say like 1000Watts or something? I just want to make sure that I don't detonate my sub woofer when i first turn it on lol.

I assume from what you say that this would work then?:
Sub woofer > Sub Amp > Receiver > Computer
Other 2-5 channel speakers > Receiver > Computer

(I guess I'll go on Ebay and look for a 5.1 receiver)

Also, Thanks Stu! That helped quite a bit!
Old 15th July 2009, 06:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

could this work as an amp? could I forward the signal through this for bass then output to some powered speakers?

Amp
Old 15th July 2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Stu is offline Stu  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yamata188
could this work as an amp? could I forward the signal through this for bass then output to some powered speakers?

Amp
To power the subwoofer? That's a preamp!

There are some slightly more suitable unitshere , but they're all plate amps and I don't think it'll be easy to fit them to a sonotube.

Maybe someone else can steer you towards some suitable equipment, I haven't got any experience with sonotubes or much in the way of amplifiers over in the U.S.
Old 15th July 2009, 09:09 PM   #6
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

For amps, I'd look at stuff like the QSC RMXs or Powerlights, or Crown.

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...Filter=qsc+rmx

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=245-435

Usually a lot of stuff on Ebay too, if you're OK with used gear.

Sometimes though, pro amps can benefit from quieter aftermarket fans when used in a room, as opposed to being on stage
Old 16th July 2009, 12:55 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I think I've found the combo that I
driver
and
amp

I guess I'll have to bridge the amp, so is there any special way to do this?
Old 16th July 2009, 12:59 AM   #8
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

That's a 12VDC car audio amplifier...you want something that's 120VAC for use in the home.

Second, I'd stay as far away from Pyle products as you can. Pure junk.

PE has some decent subs, in the Dayton line...as well as the Shiva-X from Exodus/DIYCable.com and the Creative Sound Solutions (creativesound.ca) SDX drivers.
Old 16th July 2009, 01:12 AM   #9
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

use SEARCH... lots of good info on sonotubes, including many proven formula's...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/searc...der=descending
Old 18th July 2009, 06:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input, I would have ended up getting a car amp by accident off Ebay.
This is my first time actually getting into any sort of audio project, so I guess I learned some helpful basics

Hide this!Advertise here!